What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More obscene Nepenthes . . .

Hopefully, Photobucket will not censor them or remove them from my "album" as they did last year. "Unsuitable and a violation," so they had said.

This further reminds me of my father and his often perverse sense of humor. My mother would frequently host her arch-religious friends over for tea, and she would actually have to spend a good amount of time making sure that my father had not arranged the various fruit baskets and luncheon items in an "unseemly" manner; and he always had . . .

Nepenthes truncata (Pasian Highland)
NTRUNCATA-1.jpg

Creepy Plants

CREEPYPLANTS.jpg

How come PhotoBucket didn't delete that?

I could have sworn that you had posted this already...

How come PhotoBucket didn't delete that?

I could have sworn that you had posted this already...

That was the previous pitcher with its more mature "feminine" appearance, seen in the second photo. Give Photobucket some time; it was really a riot last time . . .

very nice...how big is the pitcher? mines getting up there looking forward to a large pitcher this summer...btw how high is the humidity? is it growing in anything special?...just wondering because that heli is really nice...mines still small and its struggling...so i raised the humidity..will heli's always be stubborn, or will they eventually acclimate to true windowsill conditions?..

lol, i might be able to send you a few amorphophallus konjacs next year...though they are flower mature yet...but i can send you some starts, my other corms are still few years from flowering they are 2 years old now, going on 3

:) i think ive seen the 2nd one before but i was just going to throw in some questions this time

very nice...how big is the pitcher? mines getting up there looking forward to a large pitcher this summer...btw how high is the humidity? is it growing in anything special?...just wondering because that heli is really nice...mines still small and its struggling...so i raised the humidity..will heli's always be stubborn, or will they eventually acclimate to true windowsill conditions?..

lol, i might be able to send you a few amorphophallus konjacs next year...though they are flower mature yet...but i can send you some starts, my other corms are still few years from flowering they are 2 years old now, going on 3

:) i think ive seen the 2nd one before but i was just going to throw in some questions this time

That N. truncata pitcher is currently 23 cm (9") tall and is not yet fully-formed or even opened. It is in a fairly standard Nepenthes compost of live sphagnum, perlite, pumice, some bark and sand -- just open and quick-draining. The humidity is reasonably high -- somewhere in the 65-70% range; but I am also near the coast and manage to mist things from time to time, since they are just above the kitchen sink.

The Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor is a hybrid and is a bit more vigorous and tolerant of humidity and Tb changes than most of the species themselves; however, they do eventually adapt to local growing conditions, but a strong source of light is need to ensure that the leaves form correctly. It is in a compost of live sphagnum, pumice, and perlite . . .

....i didnt even know i asked for "is it growing in anything special" lol, i was just wondering about the humidity really...

My heli is an h. minor, so that might be why...

thanks for the info, and if your still looking for the amorph corms, i can try to save you some this fall, for SASE if you want

LOL! My aunt calls Neps "condom plants". She calls me up "we got in some more of those condom plants you like at the greenhouse" . One of the girls at work said "It looks like a guy thing"! When I cut off a pitcher and brought it in.

Amorphophallus means "twisted or deformed penis" so that trivia tidbit should set the old mother in law right once and for all. And the bloom of A. paeoniifolius looks rather like a... :D

I can't believe they actually pulled a plant photo for being "too suggestive"... Do you have any of their emails or anything you could post?

Jeeze, photobucket pulled a pic of a pitcher as being a violation. Ridiculous. Didn't know a plant could violate anything. Ah well.

Your plants look great. What direction is that window facing, and how much light would you say they get there?

Jeeze, photobucket pulled a pic of a pitcher as being a violation. Ridiculous. Didn't know a plant could violate anything. Ah well.

Your plants look great. What direction is that window facing, and how much light would you say they get there?

Thanks . . .

That is a south-facing window and gets its most direct sun later in the Summer - early Fall -- when the sun is lower in the sky. It is enough light for the Heliamphora to grow its proper leaves and the Nepenthes seem to like it . . .

Here is that very same pitcher twelve hours or so after those previous photos, just as it began to open. Nepenthes truncata have about the most dramatic and rapid "unfurling" of the peristome of any Nepenthes in my collection. They just get bigger and nastier looking every season . . .

Nepenthes truncata (Pasian Highland)

truncata-1.jpg

truncata2.jpg

confused me for a secound until i found out it was the back of the pitcher :p

Back