What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, just another post about the general squirrel population...i couldnt get all of my plants...bc my camera's battery died and i cant find anymore but i have one good example...plus, i am pleased to say no nepenthes lives have been taken...and i am trying my best to protect them now....

the story right now is, i put all my tropicals outside to acclimate and they all did very nicely..about a couple weeks ago...now all of a sudden, the squirrels are chewing them up...so right now im not happy with them...and they will from now on have to be afraid of me....the plants i remember that have damage but i didn't get a pic are....n. alata 'bochiana mimic', n. alata 'elongata', few nibbles on my newly recieved n. ventricosa, n. sanguinea, dont think i saw any on the n. judith finn, and i think thats it..AT LEAST they didnt go for one of my more rare plants...being any other nep on my growlist..glabrata, villosa, etc...but still i will have to be on guard..

so i have pictured my n. truncata 'highland'
~i entered it into a contest so with this plant i do have a before and after pic, thats why i thought it would be a good example...
here it is before the incident...
Picture040.jpg

Picture044.jpg

the 2nd pic has my little villosa growing outside with everything else :)

and the after shots...
Picture045.jpg

the center md-lg, pitchers leaf has almost been eaten down to the growth point...
Picture046.jpg

and it chewed up some about 3-4 other leaves

not one pitcher was harmed by the squirrels...personally id rather have the eat/damage the pitcher rather than the leaves, just because i can cilp the pitchers off, the leaves stay with the plant until it grows out of them..which for the plant is a long time...those small leaves...are some of the original leaves i got on the plant about 2-3years ago, or longer...i will be clipping of some of those ones but the large ones i think will be staying just because they still can be of use...unless you think i should clip them???

now that i think of it...do squirrels like cherries? those dark splotches on the neps leaves i think are from the cherries that fell off the tree...

the good things that come of this....not one plant was killed by there visit...and the growth point on the truncata, and all the other plants, seem to be still intact

this is just a warning to the squirrels...wait till the plants are big enough to fight back....along with the truncata, i hope to get a rajah, mira, and a few other large pitchering neps :)

so thats what i found yesturday when i went on my daily trip to see my neps...
(sorry for bad picture quality...thats also on my shopping list :) )

dustin

Awk!!
Squirrels, while cute and nice to look at, can be real savage, in all their little wobbly-nosed innocense..
I feel your pain. On the other hand, very well grown truncata!
Peace /Dan

squirrels suck. all rodents do IMO! On the plus sidee, maybe ill factor in a little sympothy in my give away for you. ;)

yes squirrels are a pain...of course it doesn't help that our property is full of walnut trees...but yeah they never decided to chew on the plants until they had been out there for 2-3 weeks...so soon ill be out there with a bb gun and getting them if they come near my plants...lol...they are overpopulated here...they have also gotten into the basement a few times during the winter...we caught a few there and i guess im gona have to either catch them or just eliminate them...sorry for you squirrel lovers...

mannannan: thank you for the comment, they are inocent...of course sometimes they just get too curious

obregon: no need to give me any sympathy, id like to play all fair in the giveaway...my plant will grow some new leaves...it just might not look as nice for awhile..but that next pitcher there the newest one i think will make the plant all the better.

Oh man that sucks. I'm fortunate that I haven't had wildlife go after my plants. I'll only seldom see a deer or antelope. No rodents that I know of.

Maybe you should build one of these contraptions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M

lmao, i will have to build one of those....that would be awesome, lol

Back