What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes seed soil mix

so im getting some nep seeds pretty soon and cant decide what mix to use. the seeds im getting are viking x bicalcarata. i sawe a picture of n.viking in the wild and the soil was really sandy so i decided to go that direction. i made a mix of 50/50 sand/peat and threw in some lfs and about a handful of perlite. i mixed in the sphagnum until it looked loose but still quite sandy and had a bit of the original mix leftover. was wanting to get an opinion of which might be better for sprouting in the long run. heres the two mixes i made:

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

I think either one could work, but I'd use the top one. Personally, I germinate nep seeds on pure cocopeat, but I know a lot of people have success with different mixes - I think other factors like temperature are more important. Keep 'em warm!

Pure LFS has worked well for me, but I'm trying my normal potting mix of cedar bark, fir bark, pumice and a dash of charcoal.

i put a whole bunch of LFS + some water in a blender and leave it alone for ~3 minutes. Seems to work for me! :) The key for the soil is making sure the entire seed comes in contact with the compost.

I think warmth (above 80 is possible) and light are the key factors though. Good luck!

dang... all these ideas seem to oppose eachother. i suppose i could try all three

dang... all these ideas seem to oppose eachother. i suppose i could try all three

That's the big curse of nepenthes cultivation. Nobody ever agrees on anything :-))

Jason

Back