What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep ?

I bought a nep at lowes just to see how good I can get it to grow. It has put on alot of new growth but for some reason its not putting on good sized pitchers. It had some pitchers on it when I bought it then it got too much sun and they shriveled up. It started putting on smaller pitchers but they are only milimeters long and they shriveled up. I moved the plant to a place on the porch where it only gets some evening sun but the pitchers will not grow.... what can I do?!?

DSCN1512.jpg

updated pics coming soon!!

So you're asking how to get bigger pitchers? Well, since it's outside, it will get nicely fed, so I guess you'll just have to give it time.

I just bought a bunch of these as well! I would guess it needs more time to acclimate. If you have it outside find a shady spot that gets a lot of indirect bright light. Leave it alone there for a while (few weeks) and see if it gets better. If not then try giving it higher relative humidity. I have all mine in a south facing sliding glass door and they do great! I try and spray them as much as I can to keep the humidity up.

It takes a plant time to adjust to any change in environment, some more than others.
I have had plants going near dormant for up to a year before they "took off"!

I'm not sure where you live, but in general I have found pitchering very dependant on
humidity. Lack of humidity, less, smaller or no pitchers at all.
Light is the next requirement.
It seems you have "sun-burned" the plant by exposing it to strong light too quickly.
I have done this often, and occasionally killed plants this way.
If you are going to put a plant into full sun, begin a little at a time. Morning or afternoon sun only,
or semi-shade... for a week or two. The slower the change the better, and use the plants actions
as a guide. It is better to change a plants environment/conditions too slowly than too quickly.

I am sure you will get conflicting opinions, as we all have our own little micro-climate/conditions that
vary from one another... however this is what I have found true from my experience.

(For example, when I speak of "micro-climate/conditions",
your planting medium will determine how much and how often to water...etc.)
We all have slightly different variables, that affect a plants growth.
While some "general rules" are to be followed, you have to be open-minded enough to find out
what works best for you. "One size does NOT fit all" so to speak!

Good Luck!

Back