What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing Find in Pitcher

Roarbark

Interesting Specimen
I Went out the water the plants a couple days ago, and peeked for a moment into my newest N. Miranda pitcher (Since the last one rotted due to a cockroach or two which found their way into, but not back out of the pitcher.)

DSCF1103.JPG

Lo and behold, there is was the body of something large in there. A skink, a small dark lizard I often see around my house. I kind of like them, so i was feeling bad for it.

DSCF1109.JPG

Anyway, i went inside to get my Looooong tweezers to try to pull it out of the pitcher to prevent rotting. When i got back, i was stunned. I looked back into the pitcher, reaching in with the tweezers, and... The skink was there staring back. It was ALIVE!

DSCF1106.JPG

I tipped the pitcher on its side, to see if he would scramble out, to get out of its pit trap. (DC 10 Athletics Check, for all you geeks out there :p)
Lo and behold again!

It clambered up to the pitchers edge, and peered out towards the free world again.

DSCF1108.JPG

I held the pitcher like this for a few seconds, before trying to re-angle it so it could exit onto the pot, or onto a leaf instead of diving the foot or so drop onto the ground.
It immediately dived back into the pitcher; only its tail was showing.

DSCF1111.JPG

It seemed to be perfectly happy down in the pitcher!!! I can only guess there must have been some air pocket down inside the upward turn of the pitcher, that the skink was breathing from. I turned the pitcher partially on its side, and left it like that so the skink could get out if it wanted to. When i returned later that day, it was gone.

-Justin

Your such a hero! :D Thats awesome, it was refusing to leave, probably it was more afraid of you than the "harmless plant".

Very cool. And if you don't mind me saying, very nice pitcher too!

Jason

Most likely it's feeding, stealing from your Nep.! Raccoons love Sarracenia (bug filled pixie sticks, yum) and many other symbiosis exist. Roaches regardless of the size (without getting all sci-fi) shouldn't rot your pitchers. There are threads on multiple forums about N. truncatas eating mice!

Very cool. I still kind of wonder what makes lizards and such go down into pitchers? I've had to rescue lizards out of my Sarracenias before, which puzzles me how it even got there in the first place! Maybe lizards are just curious. LOL. Or try to find shelter.

Wow, that is just stunning! I have yet to find something other than an arthropod in one of my plant's pitchers.

Nice, you are a good person. I would probably think that was disgusting if I saw one in my plants and I would try and get it out.

Skinky!

Back