What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So one of the things I often daydream about is what hybrids I would make between nepenthes if I could. I'm probably not the only one here who does that. In fact, I know I'm not. There was a similar thread not too long ago. But not many people gave a lot of explanation for their crosses. So in this thread, I thought you might enjoy putting down some hybrids you're looking forward to and why. Put some thought into it people! ;)

First up is N. villosa x rafflesiana

I think these two plants would go very well together. Of the particularly toothy neps, villosa seems to make rather nice teeth along the vertical part of the peristome that leads to the lid. Many of the raff clones, especially the giants I've seen floating around also seem to have the tendency to make significant toothy projections in that area. I suspect/hope that would help the villosa's teeth come through. Also, crossing an ultrahighlander with a lowland plant would result in a nice, happy intermediate.

Next is N. burbidgeae x ramispina

Alright, this one is more of an experiment. Ramispina makes elegant near-black pitchers. Burbidgeae has nearly white coloration. I'd like to see how that plays out (gray plant? lol). I don't think it would result in a bad hybrid in any case though.

N. burbidgeae x merrilliana

Yeah, this is basically just an attempt at making a nice intermediate N. x alisaputrana. For those who don't know, alisaputrana is the natural hybrid between rajah and burbidgeae. I find it to be a very nice cross. Merrilliana is often regarded as the lowland rajah, and can get just as big. So now you have a near-ultrahighland nep crossed with a lowland nep, resulting in a nice intermediate.

The last one I can think of now is N. aristolochioides x talangensis

I noticed on my maxima x talangensis That the talangensis sort of lent a rounded, hunchbacked shape to the pitcher. I predict that the bulbous shape of talangensis would help preserve the shape from aristolochioides. And of course, the talangensis would lend beautiful coloration.

I came up with another one today that I thought would just be the bee's knees, but I can remember it for the life of me. Oh well, I'll sleep on it.

Jason

Hi,
I think the hybrids I'm looking for is Izumiae x something to make a hybrids with dark colour ( I love dark colour)
But popular is something x truncata like veitchii x truncata, izumiae x truncata, lowii x truncata, ... are popular wiht large pitcher shape and specical some how it still can keep the colour and shape of the species which cross with truncata.

I'd like to see a hamata x lowii. The lowii would add some nice coloration to the hamata, and the hamata would make the already toothy lowii a bit more vicious. But I'd really like to see the uppers... lowii's classic hourglass shape added to hamata's extreme toothiness should make a pretty crazy pitcher.

already toothy lowii a bit more vicious

huh? the lowers arent hardly toothy, raff and densiflora are much more so and the uppers pretty well lack any peristrom

N. x((TM x macrophylla) x hamata) x edwardsiana

Long and toothy. What's not to love?

Talk about a fantasy cross...

A hairy N. hamata x mirabilis var. echinostoma. Should be quite a sight peristome wise and would hopefully be lowland compatible. Perhaps backcrossing to hamata would give you a near clone of hamata while allowing for lowland conditions.

Oh, and rajah x merriliana. Does this one need an explanation? ;)

(lowii x edwardsiana) x (lowii x hamata)

Lowii shaped uppers with huge pitchers and nice toothy peristome.

I have a lot of hybrids in mind, lol.

But I'm sure a hybrid we're looking forward to in the far future is a hybrid of all species. It would look pretty interesting. :p ...One can dream...

People, remember just because you cross a toothy nep with a normal nep, doesn't mean you'll get a toothy version. Mostl likely, the teeth will be gretly reduced but visible, but not as spectacular as the toothy parent. Thats just my opinion.

N. clipeata x rajah:
Think about the possibilities! N. rajah has tubby, red pitchers and N. clipeata has elongated, egg-white, flask-shaped pitchers. They should have an interesting petalate insertion, intermediate between parents.

180px-Nepenthes_clipeata.jpg
x
200px-Nepenthes_rajah.png

-------------------------------------------------
N. aristolochioides x stenophylla:
They both seem to make some promising hybrids.
200px-Nepenthes_aristolochioides5.jpg
x
200px-Gunung_Murud_logging_road_N._stenophylla_15.jpg

hamata x lowii

I drew a lowii x hamata or the reverse in school.
I'm normally done with my work before everyone else leaving me time to draw.
No drawing when I should be working :nono:

I drew how I'd like the plant to look.

They aren't always intermediate between parents, you know.

Nice sketches.

N. aristolochioides x stenophylla:

Wow, that is a great one. I was trying to figure out something to use stenophylla for, you really nailed it there.

Also, you guys need to keep in mind what happened with N. x Predator and a lot of other hamata hybrids. Usually, the teeth barely come through at all. If you want true toothiness, I think the edwardsiana family is where it's at.

Jason

Nice, clue. N. aristo x stenophylla is a good one. I was actually think of N. aristo x platychila before.

psht. I'll make lowii x hamata, that'll show you.
howsabout a hamata x maxima? hamata x ventricosa?

Here's one I thought up before I went to bed last night.

N. campanulata x reinwardtiana

So as we've seen with campanulata x veitchii, campanulata doesn't seem too receptive to peristomes, so I figure, why bother? Reinwardtiana has long, elegant pitchers that I think would go towards extending the campanulata shape. I would say both the red and green varieties should be tried.
Reinwardtiana 'red': http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/Leilani_10/October/DSCF0027-1.jpg
Camanulata: http://coloradocarnivorousplantsociety.com/N_camp6.jpg

Jason

hamata x ventricosa?

That would look quite odd as Ventricosa has tubby pot belly pitcher while Hamata is somewhat slim and slender. Kinda pretty and ugly at the same time if you ask me.

I would go for N. trichocarpa x albomarginata var. rubra.

I wonder why sam always grabs his pitchers with those white gloves, its creepy...

Also, you guys need to keep in mind what happened with N. x Predator and a lot of other hamata hybrids. Usually, the teeth barely come through at all.
That is why in the sketch I drew all the species names are backcrossed with hamata.
hamata x (hamata x lowii)
hamata x [(hamata x lowii) x lowii]
lowii x [(hamata x lowii) x hamata]

And then you also have to think about variation between the seedlings.

lowii x ephippiata anyone?

Back