What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps in household environment.

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hi every one,

I found out i'm moving. My New room has a very bright and big window. I want to put a few neps on that window. I wanted to know which of these neps will do well in highland conditions, bright light, but low humidty.

N. Lady Pauline
N. Truncata
N. sp. Phanga Nga Official name for N. Viking/Globosa
N. Mixta

I know these ones might have a better chance, but'll ask anyway

N. Ventricosa
N. Ventrata

Thank you in advanced

Lady Pauline for sure, truncata, and probably the mixta. Not so sure about the viking.

Those will all adapt without problems.

Once acclimated, Nepenthes are generally fine with low humidity.

Thanks guys! anyone else have an opinion? Oh what about

N. Singalana

Highlanders:
N. Lady Pauline
N. x Mixta
N. singalana
N. ventricosa
N. x ventrata
Carn's N. trucata (Pasian Highland) ;)

Lowlanders:
N. truncata
N. sp. Phanga Nga

If the leaf is thick, I think that you can grow it in lower humidity, but that's just my observations so far.

N. singalana does well in my window here in Washington state. I'm near the water so the temperatures rarely reach extremes and the humidity runs about 25%-65% on average, with a reliable nighttime temperature drop. N. ventricosa, x ventrata, and truncata (highland strains) are all happy in the same environment. I haven't grown the other plants mentioned, but the two hybrids mentioned will definitely do well. Not as sure about viking. (Thought it was highland but apparently I remembered wrong.) Best luck.
~Joe

Clue Truncata can be highland or lowland, I have pasian and pasian is Highland. I knew which ones were HL or LL, just wondering which ones are hardy to the conditions I described.

seedjar- Thanks for the singalana info.

I wouldn't try viking there, its got paper thin leaves and I'm not sure how it would react to those conditions... Singalana likes it pretty humid too, but its worth a shot. I think the rest should do fine without a problem.
Cheers from Florida :)

Thanks SK!

not quite.....there are neps that do need high humidity to grow and there are a whole bunch that will grow fine in low humidity but WILL NOT PITCHER, veitchii is a good one for this.......been there done that, my household humidity is under 20% for atleast 7 months a year....

neps ive gotten to pitcher in low humidity: ventricosa, Ventrata and Miranda, though miranda was anything but reliable and the pitchers tended to be on the small side....ventricosa and ventrata went through a few months of mutant pitchers during the adapting period and went back to normal pitchers after that.....

these are the only ones i can comment on cause everything else i have grown in humidity tents.....

Yes, N. Viking does have thin leaves, but I am growing it under household conditions and it is now doing fine. It took a while to recover from shipping shock, it got really really beat up in the mail. It has now produced two leaves and is growing well under my ambient humidity. I have experience will all of those plants, except N. Mixta, and would say that they will all be fine if acclimated properly.

not quite.....there are neps that do need high humidity to grow and there are a whole bunch that will grow fine in low humidity but WILL NOT PITCHER, veitchii is a good one for this.......been there done that, my household humidity is under 20% for atleast 7 months a year....

Did you notice I wedged in the word "generally?" Meaning most, but not all.

I've seen a few pictures of globosa being grown under, what appears to be, normal conditions without any special humidity treatment. I'll see if I can find an article or a few pics.

we have been through this before......what one person does doesnt mean others can......Pyro can grow hamata on a window sill....i cant....why? the average house hold humidity in Atlanta is quite a bit higher than for those of us on the east slope of the Rockies and on the northern plains.....the term "window sill growing" doesnt mean much of anything.....what your average home humidity is does.....thats what determines what you can and cant grow as far as neps in a window....and not much else.....

we have been through this before......what one person does doesnt mean others can......Pyro can grow hamata on a window sill....i cant....why? the average house hold humidity in Atlanta is quite a bit higher than for those of us on the east slope of the Rockies and on the northern plains.....the term "window sill growing" doesnt mean much of anything.....what your average home humidity is does.....thats what determines what you can and cant grow as far as neps in a window....and not much else.....

Just because I say that I saw a few pictures of a globosa being grown in a window does not mean I am implying that everyone can. I am only suggesting to try it and see if it works, because apparently it does work for some people.

Do you have experience with globosa?

nope never grown globosa but i wouldnt be trying it out in the open air up here because one person has said they could.....unless i know their humidity and mine are in the same general spot......see back to me versus Pyro growing hamata on a window sill.....also the point of growing neps is the pitchers......yeah i can grow veitchii on my windowsill and it will grow like a weed but i might, MIGHT see one pitcher a year, pretty much a wasted effort to grow it if i cant give it good humidity isnt it?....

I'm finding this to be true. Inspired by Jimmy, 2 months ago I took all of my neps, every single one, out of my humidity controlled growrack, and moved them to a south facing window. The humidity sits at 25% to 40%. Most haven't skipped a beat! The only ones that seems to be adjusting are the jamban and jacq. Those two are making pitchers with deformed lids right now. But even my hamata hasn't hiccuped!

Now now, please don't turn this topic into an argument theres been enough arguing amongst the forums lately. Though I do appreciate your help, but please...

I'm finding this to be true. Inspired by Jimmy, 2 months ago I took all of my neps, every single one, out of my humidity controlled growrack, and moved them to a south facing window. The humidity sits at 25% to 40%. Most haven't skipped a beat! The only ones that seems to be adjusting are the jamban and jacq. Those two are making pitchers with deformed lids right now. But even my hamata hasn't hiccuped!

dont hold your breath on the jac......ive had mine in much higher humidity for going on 8 months now and am babying it and its still throwing out deformed pitchers, but atleast its pitchering now.......it seems to be one that takes its sweet time adjusting......my macrophylla took alot less time to settle in......

I actually grow my Globosa on a table under some CFLs near my aquarium, where they get about a 40%-50% humidity daily, with fairly average daily temps depending on the weather outside. Like I said, it has recovered from a fairly rough trip with the post office, and now seems to be doing just fine.

Back