What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you know your windows sufficient?

How can you tell which window is sufficient? I have a lot of windows in my house and I'm trying a couple because I don't really want to use lights, since I don't have that much of plants. Can you tell by using W,E,N,S? Or do you really have to look at how long it stays bright. What is bright? I've been getting confused with all of this, because some windows light up the room, some make it "not dark" and some just ... ugh light is very confusing ><. Can anyone show me what a "bright windowsill" is? Something that nepenthes can photosynthesis?

Help a 12 year old confused kid out willya? XD

You'll want the brightest one you can get. Are you surrounded by other homes? That might limit a few. Im no where near competant with directions and the sun, but i believe north windows arent that great, and east/west are pretty decent.

Hope this helps,
Frankie

I'd go for the brightest 'sill possible, which would probably be south facing. East and wests are, as Obregon said, okay too, so long as there aren't any physical impediments blocking light.

A north facing window is by far the worst. You won't get any direct sunlight at all, only ambient all day long.

Well, if your low enough, northern-facing windowsills are great during the summer. :p Then move them to a southern-facing window for the winter. But that's just Florida. :p Not sure just how south you are in southern California.

in general north are the worst, a south or west is the best.....but ive been in houses where the best light comes in north windows because of structures blocking the light from the other windows......also depending on where you are it can vary due to the time of the year......right now for me a west is best because the sun is so high in the sky the south windows actually dont get alot of direct sun unless you have very big picture windows......in the winter the south windows will be alot better than the west because the sun is lower on the horizon.....

one thing to keep in mind is that with windows, by the tim the light gets through the glass it looses alot of its strength......even a sunny south window is about equal to bright shade if you were growing the plants out side.....if you have newer, coated double paned windows they cut out even more.....

I grow my plants in a south-east windowsill in California. I don't need to move them because they have sufficient light year-round.

I've found that north windows may support Darlingtonia. My stolon cuttings have been there since December.

Back