What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hanging Pots - remove tray from bottom?

Hi there

I live on the south side of Maui and it is very hot, sunny, and dry. It rains probably less than 8 times per year. Sometimes it can get pretty windy too.

I have a few nepenthes hanging in pots outside:

2 fairly large mirandas in 8 inch hanging pots

1 medium ventricosa red in a 4 inch hanging pot

All 3 plants are doing pretty well, growing steadily and producing pitchers.

I water them just about every day... maybe skipping every 4th or 5th day.

the plastic pots that the mirandas hang in have the typical water tray attached to the bottom but the ventricosa does not.

I never water the mirandas enough to have water spill out of the bottom tray, but usually if I tip the plant over a bit shortly after watering, some water that has obviously accumulated in the tray because it spills out.

Usually when i go to water them in the mornings, the mirandas feel barely moist and the ventricosa often feels dry.

Should i consider removing the trays from the bottoms of the miranda baskets? is the water that gathers in the trays a danger to the plant?

Since the ventricosa is kind of drying out over night even though i practically flood it when watering, should i consider adding a tray to the basket to capture water and maybe keep it from drying out?

Thanks for any advice

What kind of water are you using? From your description I am not surprised your plants are going through a lot of water very quickly. In your case there is no harm from the extra water sitting in the drainage tray since it is being absorbed back into the potting mix in such short order. However, mineral buildup in such a situation is a primary concern. So unless you are using very pure water try and water enough so that that water flows out of the pots and over the tops of the trays.

I would think it may be beneficial to your N. ventricosa to have one as well if it is drying out so quickly. As the plants get larger and larger they will require more and more water. The tray to hold a bit of extra water will only go so far. So you have some choices to help keep a balance, water again later in the day, larger pots, cut the plants back, reduce their exposure to sun and wind a bit.

Thanks Tony

I'm actually using regular tap water from a hose for my plants. I've been doing it for about a year now and they seem fine.

But it sounds like you are recommending that I water them a bit more... enough so that the bottom trays overflow. Is that to wash out any mineral build up?

I'm already watering the ventricosa twice a day but I think I'll try the tray method and see if the plant can do well with just a morning watering.

My goal is to let the plants grow as big as possible so I don't want to cut them back. I'll try the other options that will allow them to continue to grow for now.

Thanks again

Thanks Tony
But it sounds like you are recommending that I water them a bit more... enough so that the bottom trays overflow. Is that to wash out any mineral build up?

Yes that was my thought. It may help flush out excess minerals. It will not be 100% effective though so you still need to be wary of minerals building up in the long term.

Back