What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need input on crossing speckled gracilis

So I lucked out and my heavily speckled seed grown gracilis turned out to be female.

The bloom is pretty small, even for gracilis:

gracilissgbloom1.jpg

The pitcher:

sgspeckledgrac1.jpg

I have 4 males flowering right now and I think the most interesting cross would be with fusca 'Sarawak'. Here is an old pic:

nfuscaS1.jpg

The only problem is fusca is taking its sweet time opening (looks like it could be another 3 days) and the gracilis bloom has been open for 2 days now. My first question is: does anyone know how long female flowers stay receptive?

My other 3 choices are:

generic looking seed grown hybrid #2 (I'm not that fond of it :p):

sggenerichybrid01.jpg

N. 'Miranda'
N. gracilis "Purple" (Might be interesting but I already have quite a few pure gracilis seedlings)

I know its not the most exciting cross in the world, but my second question is: out of the four possible crosses, which appeals to you the most?

.... there's also the option of requesting some pollen from others (& offer to split the seeds). Might get some more possibilities ... :boogie:

Nepenthes gracilis "Spotted" x fusca "Sarawak" does sound interesting...

.... there's also the option of requesting some pollen from others (& offer to split the seeds). Might get some more possibilities ... :boogie:

True, but it could take a week to get to my mailbox and by that time it would be too late.

Just a thought, is it possible to pollinate a female with several different males? I can't remember..

Sure is jrf, just mark off the flowers with what pollen was on what...you can make all 4 hybrids ;)

Just a thought, is it possible to pollinate a female with several different males? I can't remember..

Unless I am crazy mistaken, yes, it is definitely possible and often done.

Jason

Awesome, I might have to give that a try. Thanks guys.

just be careful with labeling all four crosses. I messed it all up doing what your trying to do...

Id vote for pure gracilis, everyone likes species variation! :)

P.S. would you be interested in trading Mr. Generic SG Nep? :D

Well, even though I'm not particularly fond of it, it has a sort of sentimental value as one of my first seed grown neps (that and its waaay too big to fit in a box ;)). But if you really are interested in it, I can take a cutting some time in the future, just gotta wait for a basal or two. Just a FYI, I can't remember the exact parentage but I'm almost positive theres 'Splendiana' in it.

Back