What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffee WORKS as a fertilizer.

didn't seem to see an answer, is decalf ok to use, or is it useless . yes reg and decalf are the same but decalf has much less caffeine , is the caffeine what they like about the coffee ? anyone ??

Has anyone thought of incorporating coffee grinds and/or beans into their media? Sounds a little nuts, but maybe it could have the same effect as a slow release fertilizer.

I think I may experiment a little...

Coffee, huh? I think I need to try this...

Has anyone thought of incorporating coffee grinds and/or beans into their media? Sounds a little nuts, but maybe it could have the same effect as a slow release fertilizer.

I think I may experiment a little...

MOLD MOLD MOLD (DO NOT ad the grounds to your media)

Tried it .

Now i have used some left over day old Coffee an then two days later flush flush flush that pot before the mold starts

I killed my Vent x Inermis with the coffee grounds in the soil :censor:

Coffee (liquid) adds a big acidic boost to the plants, it has nothing to do with the caffeine. They may have digestive systems of a sort but no nervous systems! lol

I have no idea if decaffinated is more or less acidic than normal coffee. What makes it decaf? Do they put chemicals on it? Pre-boil the beans?

Coffee grounds need to be composted and worked over by nitrogen fixing bacteria before using on plants so don't use that. I would imagine that the "instant" coffees would be the same as using grounds since the grounds "dissolve" in the water.

The cold coffee works ok but MAKE SURE the grounds do not get to your neps. It will turn moldy and burn the live sphagnum moss topping.

I get used grounds from Starbucks as fertilizer and then I brew them a second time - I put it all in a big stockpot and leave it simmering for a day or so. Then I skim off the grounds and let the water cool. I'll usually re-boil the grounds a few times to make sure I get all the "good stuff" out of them, and I try to use the liquid before it has a chance to start growing things. I haven't tried adding the grounds to a planting mix yet, but next time I make a batch for fertilizing I plan to save the grounds and try them in different concentrations in a few pots. (In the past I've applied them as mulch in winter, but I wasn't really monitoring for objectivity back then.)
I've heard of other growers using coffee, and in the past it sounded like there's some metabolic benefit to the caffeine. One suggestion to control mold is to oven-dry the grounds before applying them to the mix - not sure how that's supposed to stop the mold long-term, but applying it dry keeps it from clumping up.
~Joe

my local starbucks gives away free grinds for your garden. You are supposed to mix it directly into the soil. I have never tried it.

Has anyone done a controlled experiment, i.e. growing two of the same plants in the same conditions, one being given coffee and the other not? Without this how would you know if the the plant not given coffee wouldn't grow as well, or even better?

If I were to cold brew whole coffee beans, would that be okay?

Any form of brewing should be fine. I grind whole beans and then brew with a french press (I'm assuming you plan to grind the beans).

Hi Dante1709,

Cold brewing of ground coffee beans will work well.

Don't bother with whole beans - ground coffee particles will have much more surface area and will release more of that coffee goodness. :)

dvg

Back