What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Mine arrived in a very peat heavy mix. In hindsight I should have ordered bare root. Might go ahead and repot in a more airy mix, and avoid more shock in the future.

very good idea to do it now if your gonna

Mine arrived in a very peat heavy mix. In hindsight I should have ordered bare root. Might go ahead and repot in a more airy mix, and avoid more shock in the future.
I would def re pot it. I have mine on Orchid bark and LFS, and its growing very well

I want to get one, but everyone says there so picky..

I wouldn't say "picky" at all, based on my experience. Specific in their needs, yes.... but no more so than many of the other moderately demanding species. You already have a good idea of their needs, based on what people have said in this discussion: avoid peat in the soil mix, bright light but not too much full sun exposure, and more intermediate-than-highland temperatures*. That doesn't sound too difficult to me. ;-)

*although my two are growing in a greenhouse where temps always drop below 60F, year round, and in fact sometimes hit the high forties for brief periods, and my two robcanbtleyis grow very well. As they say, YMMV: it is the sum of all your growing conditions that dictate success, not just a single quality of environment. (Although you can certain murder a plant if a single environmental factor deviates drastically from optimal!)

I wouldn't say "picky" at all, based on my experience. Specific in their needs, yes.... but no more so than many of the other moderately demanding species. You already have a good idea of their needs, based on what people have said in this discussion: avoid peat in the soil mix, bright light but not too much full sun exposure, and more intermediate-than-highland temperatures*. That doesn't sound too difficult to me. ;-)

*although my two are growing in a greenhouse where temps always drop below 60F, year round, and in fact sometimes hit the high forties for brief periods, and my two robcanbtleyis grow very well. As they say, YMMV: it is the sum of all your growing conditions that dictate success, not just a single quality of environment. (Although you can certain murder a plant if a single environmental factor deviates drastically from optimal!)

Where's the "Like" button?

Here it is, :)

285159_10151201741219456_493513488_n.jpg

The Whole Plant.

556996_10151201742659456_1089574420_n.jpg

OH.....MY......GAWD!!! :laaa:

oh wow, what a beauty...i wish everyone would include photos of the main plants and not the pitchers only...looks much more interesting this way.

Impressive sir. Looks like you are keeping it plenty happy. I even like the leaf color. You must have found a sweet spot.

:0o:favion thats a fantastic pitcher,mine i hope is working on a bigger pitcher so i hope to post on here in a month

Thank guys! I really appreciate all the kind comments. I grow this plants on my bedroom windowsill and fertilize with coffee once a month. I water it once a week and spray it twice a day :) can't wait to see yours Corky!

Ill throw my little one into the mix. It's opened it's first pitcher a week after arriving. It's shy of 3''

B1C57C86-C7CB-4EA8-B054-40E3861A4BA0-511-00000022F7224FB5.jpg

98B667DD-8656-434F-A1D7-60D882B92A93-511-00000022E9C94B47.jpg

This is the larger of my two, photographed yesterday. That pitcher is about 4.5" tall.
20121013-135654.jpg

Very nice paul how large is that plant across,i would also like to know how large the plant was when you got it,i am trying to see how well i am growing my own,oh and how long you have had the plant,sorry for the inquisition but if you don't ask you don't get

Last edited:
i would also like to know how large the plant was when you got it,i am trying to see how well i am growing my own,oh and how long you have had the plant
Corky,
While Paul can provide the specifics on his plants - this thread was started when BE announced the release of the original small SG plants. In the early parts of the thread are posts with some pics & comments about the size of plants as they were received. You can get a pretty good idea of the various growth rates as people posted pics & info on their plants (actually an interesting read imho).

I may be mistaken but I believe that most of the plants that currently have ~4" pitchers (& larger) are from this original release. While I have not heard of additional releases, it's hard to believe some of the small plants currently in circulation also came from the 1st group. ???

thanks ron i was under the impression they must of been a couple of releases as people are still getting small plants,but if only one release that is strange,and i have read the thread and yes it is a good read in my opinion too:)ron on page 23 you say that lilstinkpots plant is from a different seed batch what do you mean by this if there was one release,i am probably missing the point

Last edited:
Very nice paul how large is that plant across,i would also like to know how large the plant was when you got it,i am trying to see how well i am growing my own,oh and how long you have had the plant,sorry for the inquisition but if you don't ask you don't get

Also interested in estimated growth rate.

gorgeous Paul! mine is about the same size, however it doesn't have the green wings.

Back