What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

I think I might be the only person who isn't very enthusiastic about this. I really don't see what all the hype is about, the parents are great looking plants, and $50 is a good price for those seedlings, but, there's really no guarantee that the kids will look that great, and I really don't think the parents are all THAT incredible. Definitely not worth the feeding frenzy they have caused.

You're not alone Davey. I also have no desire to grow these plants. If anything, I would be interested to see what the seedlings that were held back look like compared to the ones being sold. I think they had a different leaf form or something like that.

I don't know where you are getting them for 50 dollars, Borneo Exotics is selling them at wholesale for more than that.

i checked again to be sure, and BE is selling them at WHOLESALE for 50 bucks. The cost of importation and the amount of purchase that someone has to put in with them means that there is no way you are buying these for 50 bucks. I would think that retail price for someone to actually get one of these is going to be closer to 100 in order for the wholesale purchaser to get their money back and make a profit.

Check again....

I found a place that sells them for $49. And with such a beginner oriented store I'm suprised that they would stock it.

What kind of setup do you need to grow one of these? I'm almost... sorta... tempted but since my growing setup is somewhat spartan right now (basically a rack in a badly lit window with a good lighting setup above it) I'm worried I'd just be killing them off.

You'd grow it like any other N. truncata, which aren't that picky about where they grow from what I've heard. 85-80 day and 75-70 night (I think) since N. truncata is considered as an intermediate.

Yeah, a black truncata is a fairly safe investment for anyone. I find them to be tougher than ventrata because it adjust much faster and pitchers in almost anything.

So if I grow a Ventrata/Ventricosa with decent luck, I could probably grow this? I have decent luck with mine. Dear lord, maybe I should go for it. o_O

Just invest in stronger lights if you want dark pitchers.

Does anyone have any updated pic's of their baby black truncata's? I just got mine about a month ago and it looks like most of the other babies at this point. I am really curious as to what i can expect about 6 months from now with more mature pitchers.

Please also share your growing conditions.

Mine is in a mesh pot with 1/2 dried sphagnum and 1/2 orchid bark mix.
Temp = 75-80 day, 55-60 night
Humidity = 50-60% day, 75-80% night.

Anyone using any type of fertilizer?

Mine is teeny tiny, an inch across at most. Just generic infantile green pitchers for now.

Does anyone have any updated pic's of their baby black truncata's?
I'm guessing that you've seen the Black truncata baby in this thread. Shows a nice progression with color becoming more apparent in the recent pic. Then there's the 'Official thread' on these little guys (now if we can just get Av to stop taking his pictures out). :poke:

Here's a pic of mine taken around 12.20.09. (I'm attempting to document it's monthly progression since arrival in my growlist). The good: growing reasonably well & starting to show color. The not-so-good: the latest pitcher has 'small lid syndrome'. The earlier pitchers were fine so I hope this is not a habit that continues... :nono: The leaf @~5:30 is currently inflating a pitcher, so I shouldn't have long to wait...
Ntruncata122009RS.jpg

... and here's a closeup of the quasi-lidless pitcher from today showing some color:
Ntruncatapitcher010710RS.jpg

Mine has a bit of colour :D

Early pic
4171359419_dd5a12be2f_o.jpg

Same pitcher a bit later

entire plant
4199017477_2da2479eb1.jpg

The growing conditions are:
day/night temp: 24/12C
day/night humidity: 50/60% (yea it is kinda low)
medium: sphagnum, i picked out the colourful bits which explains its red colour
light: i forget how many hours, probably 14h, half a meter from 6 t5s.

Those pics are a bit old. The reddish pitcher in the third picture is now as dark as the first one. I'll try to take some newer pics when I get the chance.

Your Black truncata baby has really darkened up nicely for you Zongyi. Nice work there!

Keep us updated on your progress with that one.

awesome

Last edited:
Canada only got 20 of these babies, and its nice to see that one is that dark Z! Heres another Canadian one although not as dark. Latest pitcher:

DSC02155.jpg

Whole plant, as you can see the other leaf with an older pitcher has some brown spots, I found some weird whilte mold on it and when clean off it left some really dark stuff which came off only if I pressed hard so thats from bruising. The Fungus has presented itself on two other occasions on other neps, luckily it goes away once I clean it the first time.
DSC02156.jpg

Nice plant. Mine got attacked by mites and its only now producing its first pitcher. (The leaf is still bigger then the ones it arrived with, so that at least it hasn't fallen to far behind.)

Some of the black truncata seedlings which arrived last December.

Conditions: Lowland
Temperatures: 33C/92F (day), 24C/75F(night)

The newest leaves are larger than the ones that came with the plant. :)
black_truncata_plants.jpg

Pitchers from two different plants with colouration. The third plant have all green pitchers.
black_truncata_pitcher1.jpg

black_truncata_pitcher2.jpg

Another plant.
black_truncata_plant.jpg

The latest pitcher, with colouration.
black_truncata_pitcher3.jpg

Back