What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

They look very happy. It will be interesting to see how they do in LL conditions.

I don't know why anyone is growing them as lowland. They are highland plants and are going to do better in highland conditions. I'm in contact with people who got some from me and they are growing as highland and the plants are looking wonderful. So is the one that I kept for myself. I'm getting more soon...

mine also grow in highland conditions...i tried warmer, more intermediate/lowland conditions and they didnt like it very much....

My temps never get below 78-80 F.

When I received it about 1 month ago
IMG_2807.JPG_595.jpg

Now:

IMG_2851.JPG

Mine grows in Highland conditions, and its pretty fast!

I want one! ...heehee

Might as well add mine. These are photos from a couple weeks ago:

NtruncataKxQc11.jpg

NtruncataKxQc12.jpg

I'm growing them in intermediate/highland conditions.

Here's one of mine.
Not the best closeup's, but the pitchers look like there dipped in cinnamon.
JMatt

dsc03957c.jpg

dsc03958r.jpg

dsc03959kg.jpg

hers mine too.
trunc+trim.jpg

Here are mine:

4299316042_7b24638a35_b.jpg

I don't know why anyone is growing them as lowland. They are highland plants and are going to do better in highland conditions. I'm in contact with people who got some from me and they are growing as highland and the plants are looking wonderful. So is the one that I kept for myself. I'm getting more soon...

Because...
1. I live in lowland conditions
2. truncata 'Pasian' does well in lowland conditions and both species originated from the same area and similar conditions in the wild
3. tropical growers would also love to have the magnificent species in their collections albeit smaller pitchers and maybe even duller colour ;)

im growing mine in highland conditions just for reference, the one here post #50 more photos in thread truncata queen o h x king o s( high Or Low)

Cindy, I see you are in Singapore. I'm curious - it's lowland type conditions even inside your house? It's hard for me to picture someone living in high heat and humidity like that and not being uncomfortable. With the amount of humidity needed to produce true lowland conditions, things inside your house would be constantly moist and mildewing.

back2eight,

Yup. Lowland year round. The coolest (read as the least hot to most growers here) during the day is in the early 80s. I am in the same type of garb year round...tank top, shorts and flip-flops. Unfortunately, that attire is not allowed at my work place which is not air-conditioned.

Anything leather goes mouldy and biscuits need to go into an airtight container once they are out of the sealed package. Having not lived anywhere else before, I was intrigue by a friend in Australia who left his pie out in the open for the entire day. It would have gone bad here. LOL

The good thing...lowland Nepenthes thrive at my windowsill. And they do excellently in outdoor gardens. The growers here try their luck with highland Neps too. There are successes (e.g. highland truncata) and failures (e.g. hamata).

Wow, lol. Yep, I leave cookies, cakes, pies, etc. sitting on the counter. Our weather during the summer is like yours, but it doesn't stay humid inside the house. I run the air conditioner. Outside during the summer is perfect lowland conditions, but I do have a hard time with them the rest of the year, even bringing them inside. I like to keep my inside temperatures 65-70 degrees F.

I must have damaged mine, it grew one leaf and one pitcher after arrival then stopped completely.

5 months later a node is becoming active and rapidly developing.... :banana2:
I've got a lot of catching up to do....
truncata0210.jpg

Cross your fingers, you may end up with 2 growth points. That growth tip looks fine/undamaged to me, I've had black tips start growing again so you may be in luck!! Good eye spotting that node.

...That growth tip looks fine/undamaged to me,.

Thats what I thought, but Ive tried every trick in the book and it just refused to do anything till now... ???
But it appears to be over the hump.... finally :)
Av

I must have damaged mine, it grew one leaf and one pitcher after arrival then stopped completely.

5 months later a node is becoming active and rapidly developing.... :banana2:
I've got a lot of catching up to do....
truncata0210.jpg

13 days later, we are indeed back with a vengence :banana2:
truncata_node0210.jpg

ummm and maybe another node as well???

:hail:

Back