What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Oh, I liked it when it was pink, but it's meant to be black.

Wow Paul - that thing really colored up nicely since the last pic! If the pitcher is ~3.5", then the leaf it's on is ~1 inch? My latest leaf is 3-4". It would be nice to see an un-deformed pitcher grow up on it .... :crazy: (probably too much to hope for ...)

You are correct, the leaf portion is no bigger than about 1" x 1". I was quite shocked, really, to see that pitcher grow and grow and GROW. Its really big compared to the plant. Makes me wonder what size the pitchers will be when that leaf area is 12" x 12"! Yikes

I can't wait till this thing becomes the monster it will be. I love the big traps.

Yeah this should be spectacular when mature,

Photo%20Apr%2010,%202%2033%2047%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2010,%203%2052%2014%20PM.jpg

-Jeremiah-

Mato,
Very nice coloration. How large are your pitchers? It'll be interesting to see if they maintain the folded-back peristome or if it starts to flare..... ???

Ron, the pitcher is about 3.5'', and the last one produced a more flared peristome with more green at the base. I was very surprised by this latest one.

Very nice, Jeremiah. How old is your plant?

That's the darkest peristome I think I've seen yet. Very nice and flared, too.

I'm so jealous of all these beautiful plants. Mine is still three inches across and has struggled for a while. :(

Aren't they all more or less the exact same age? :scratch:

I saw some five months ago that were about three inches across, so I doubt that's the case.

Neps n Things, how large is that pitcher? That's one of the most beautiful pitchers, imo.

Yeah no they are not all the same age. I just got one that is three inches across. There were larger ones too. Did these go into TC?

Hi Ron,

Love to see what these deformed pitchers are looking like for you.

Wow Paul - that thing really colored up nicely since the last pic! If the pitcher is ~3.5", then the leaf it's on is ~1 inch? My latest leaf is 3-4". It would be nice to see an un-deformed pitcher grow up on it .... :crazy: (probably too much to hope for ...)

Hi Ron,
Love to see what these deformed pitchers are looking like for you.
At some point I've intended to share my journey with this plant so now is as good as time as any. I received my plant in the 1st wave like many others. It grew amazingly well so after this pic was taken..... (2.5" pot) (the pitcher forming @ 1 o'clock even has a full lid!) ....
Ntruncata022010RS.jpg

... I repotted into a larger pot, using the same mix as the original. From that point, it didn't even try to make a new pitcher. Each month I struggled with why - First - it was "don't worry, it's just adjusting after being repotted", then it was "it must not like the hotter summer temps - it's going to cool down soon", then the reverse "it doesn't like winter temps...".

Finally I gave in and repotted into a peat-free media mix (same size pot). From that day, the plant started to grow again - really grow. After the repotting, the next leaf was larger & it inflated a small pitcher with little-lid syndrome (not shown). At least it was a step forward. Since then, each leaf has been larger but the pitchers have been deformed - almost circular - very odd. Here's the pitcher after the one with little-lid syndrome:
Nroyaltrunc1defside041212RS.jpg
Nroyaltrunc1deffront041212RS.jpg

.... and here's pics of the next pitcher (which was also the most recent) - side views (although it's not obvious, the pitcher below is about twice the size of the pitcher above):
Nroyaltruncdefside1041212RS.jpg
Nroyaltruncdefside2041212RS.jpg

The mouth of the pitcher on each is circular with no lid at all. The 2nd pitcher formed with the mouth directly against the pot.

... and the front:
Nroyaltruncdeffront041212RS.jpg

Suggestions, thoughts are welcome (as always). Now you can see why I said ....
It would be nice to see an un-deformed pitcher grow up on it .... :crazy: (probably too much to hope for ...)

Last edited:
What causes lids to not form or be small? I have this happen to some of my plants sometimes too though nothing this severe. It happened to my first merrilliana pitcher but my second one formed a normal lid. Seems almost random.

Neps n Things, how large is that pitcher? That's one of the most beautiful pitchers, imo.

I didn't have a ruler but my best guess using a piece of printer paper as a guide is 8 1/2 to 9 inches tall. It is the first pitcher to form in a few months with the shorter winter days slowing growth down a bit. The newest leaf is noticeably larger than the one that formed this pitcher and I'm excited to see the pitcher that it forms!

Well, although my original plant is gradually progressing to less-deformed pitchers, an opportunity came up to trade for another. Naturally, the developing pitcher broke off during shipping or unpacking - but a new one started growing immediately. While it may still have more coloring-up to do, it's already head & shoulders beyond my 1st one (& the next leaf is already 30% larger than this one). In it's home ...
Nroyaltruncata2-071712RS.jpg

looks like my last update on this thread was 8 10 11 so i thought i would add this update of mine now it seems to grow in normal home humidity and home temps 72 to 80 but loves lots of extra light, this is now under a ho t5 with a bloom and grow bulb, no misting just likes to stay very wetcant wait the next leaf is quite a bit larger than the one attached to this pitcher, i wnat to get a picture of it opening before the peristome folds back.
IMG_6029.jpg
IMG_6035.jpg

Gorgeous. I need to get mine up to some sort of size so I cna post pics like that!

Really starting to show the adult characteristics now.
IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg
IMG_5856.jpg

A younger pitcher with less of a flared peristome
IMG_5851-1.jpg

Cheers

Jasper

that is quite the stunner jasper.

omg! I can't wait for mine to get to that stage* its beautiful Jasper

Back