What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Try this
88782227@N07

they grow in close proximity to two hamatas which are unaffected, does that rule out mites? Sorry for poor quality the pics where taken through the glass.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88782227@N07/8096996148/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88782227@N07/8096986687/in/photostream

I have not seen these kinds of markings before, so I'm at a loss to suggest a causal agent. Perhaps someone else will recognize the effect. Good luck!

Paul

Ok, so I'm just spitballing here, but I have these on my truncata, and it is my personal belief that they are the result of large leaf jumps after fertilization. Making less "hardened" leaves more quickly...

But, I could be wrong...

my highland truncata's new leaves looked similar to that during the hot summer months when it was not getting the cool night and somewhat mild day temps. just my 2 cents. what conditions is yours being grown in

my highland truncata's new leaves looked similar to that during the hot summer months when it was not getting the cool night and somewhat mild day temps. just my 2 cents. what conditions is yours being grown in

I grow my truncata in full sun and it seems like when it gets hot, the older leaves usually burn in a pattern like that. If the heat continues, the discoloration slowly works it's way outwards. That may be what's happening on yours but the fact that the discoloration is on the leaf even before it completely unfurls is strange. ???

OK maybe I'm blind. What are we looking for on the leaves?? The white bleached out spots??

Thanks for all the replies! Encouraging to see that nothing 'terminal' has been written so far. I grow the plants in a north facing room under lights at room temp here in rainy London. As I said I think I may have put orchid fertiliser at week strength on them during the summer. It's called Orchid Focus 2.2:1.2:2.1. To complicate things the mottling started when we had just about the only heatwave of the summer when night time temps didn't drop below 25 degrees (it killed off my singalana :'-( the high temps lasted about a week. I thought robcantleyi was intermediate, so surprised if it was the heatwave? BTW that new leaf is opening now and temps are back to normal, 21 during day and 15 at night.:-D

It is conceivable that a stretch of 25C nights might cause some problems. You might assume so and just watch them over the winter to see if it persists. I suspect it won't.

Thanks very much Paul. I'm sure it will grow out of it and I'll stick to coffee as a fertilizer from now on. I have consoled myself with purchasing a furry red hamata :banana2:

Much appreciated!

Ant

Weak orchid very will not cause that. The tempos might. I've had something similar on one if mine and its growing out to of it.

Drool. A hairy red.....a dream ATM.

Nepenthes robcantleyi, the smaller of my two plants: the pitcher shown here is about four inches tall. I get a clear impression that the seedlings of this species are growing up to look very much alike. This suggests that it is a genuine species and not some sort of chance hybrid.
20121019-101032.jpg

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately this guy was facing a corner in the rack, so it was a bit difficult to get a decent picture. Regardless, it's quite a bit larger than the others and not as dark:

IMG_6544_edited-1.jpg

Now I just need my plant to get some better roots on and start gaining size again! Darn that hot weather!
Interesting stripes on the peristome there mato, and on whimgrinder's plant, I've noticed the change in color from red to green/yellow on the perisotme like yours on the parent QOH, but not so much on pics of other people's pitchers. Maybe just the timing of the pic?

@hcarlton: that is a very recently opened pitcher, so it has yet to color up. The previous pitcher on that plant has a very dark peristome; a deep chocolate brown hue. I expect the pitcher in the photo above will darken to the same rich brown.

Beautiful. I can hardly wait for mine to grow up!!!

mine seems as though its going to have the tall slim type pitcher. I like the squat type pitchers more . love the tubby pitchered neps,

It is coming along nicely though. maybe mine will be the opposite gender from everyone else when it matures.

this pitcher will be about 6 1/2" with the lid after it opens, tall and slim like me, well like I was in my thirties LOL.
kingqueen.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0722.jpg

Gorgeous Uphwiz! I just took a pic of mine, it darkened up like Paul said, to a chocolate color! here it is

68405_10151217916999456_1668293401_n.jpg

Awesome!! Love the robs

Back