What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Well it's been almost a year since I posted a pic of my robcantleyi, and after moving to my moms for a few months, then back home,then re potted it, and then moved to the green house, it has finally given me a descent pitcher! & here it is. This time is a fatty :) it opened a few days a go. We shall see how far the peristome folds now that it is in very humid conditions.
1391714_10151921516399456_1205571888_n.jpg

Teeny little booger, it's already starting to show some GREAT color. :water:

Last edited:
Man, I can't get mine to do a thing.... I hope the repotting I gave it will move it along.

thought i would show off my latest and coloured up

i really like that odd red blip at the top of the peristome! :)

Ditto. I love that little fleck.

Man, I can't get mine to do a thing.... I hope the repotting I gave it will move it along.
strange,i have quite poor conditions as i grow my neps in my house environment ,i have plenty of neps that hate it but robc seems to tolerate a good range of temps and humidity,Lil and Myles thanks i too think the fleck is pretty cool,first pitcher to show it

My little baby coloring up :)

CP7202086_zpse25378d4.jpg

CP7202094_zpsd3a980b2.jpg

CP7202095_zps206ac4d0.jpg

CP7202102_zpsa8200dba.jpg

Any news on what this mysterious emergence is?
Have not had much time to spend on the forums lately but saw this on one of my N. robcantleyi's & grabbed a pic to share. Looks like there is something about to emerge from both of the last two leaves (rather than just the last one). I hadn't heard much (anything) about this species producing basals ....

sorry for double post*

Last edited:
Colored up*
1378119_10151946581089456_942806095_n.jpg

Any news on what this mysterious emergence is?
Basal. The one on the left in the pic has become dominant and has resumed the full growth it had previously. The one on the right is a single, partially-formed leaf that does not appear to have any add'l growth potential at this time.

Here are a couple updated pitchers on mine.
two days later.
I noticed in a couple posts back there was a taller pitchered plant more like mine , most on here are tubby , Im wondering if it will be a different sex from all of the others , have they been identified as a group more male or female ???? are they both ?? :blush: can they be different sexes or will they all be one sex??

I didn't even notice the pitcher difference until you pointed that out but yes it does seem taller! My plant has a new pitcher that is quickly developing and I will post that picture when it opens so we can see if all the pitchers are going to be exhibiting the tall trait :D

I'm a little late to the game, seeing that my little seedling hasn't even developed a broad peristome yet. Still, it's a little N. robcantleyii seedling, and it's already BLACK. :awesome:

Peter D'amato's N. robcantleyi

The species is really unique. It makes an excellent display plant given the growth pattern - compact and rosette. The pitchers last a long time. The pitchers are dark and tough so when they wither, they are not ugly and do not stick out like a sore thumb. And it's really not fussy about being moved around and about (BE has brought the parents all over the world).

I can't grow the species well in my ambient conditions. But since the cool house at the national garden has them, I'll gladly pay the entrance fee to enjoy them for a day...which reminds me that I ought to check out the annual pass...hmm....

Basal. The one on the left in the pic has become dominant and has resumed the full growth it had previously. The one on the right is a single, partially-formed leaf that does not appear to have any add'l growth potential at this time.

Ron, what are your conditions like and have there been changes recently? Basals have not been observed by Rob in the 3 original plants (since the last time I ask).

Back