What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Apolo Ohno cultivar?

hehehehehe
:p

I think one of mine is coming out of the propagation chamber and into the low humidity high light of my main grow rack.
Wish me luck.
I'll update in a month or so.

dvg: that's great, a belly button! I hope mine keep their little ties into adulthood.

Oh, and I just looked again - the pot is 3", not 2.5". That baby sure does grow fast!

Thanks to all for sharing their plants. It will certainly be interesting to watch, as they mature. Here's a couple pics taken today:

1-47.jpg

2-20.jpg

Cheers,
kpg

WOw!! those are very nice Kpg. Mine are starting to put out some nice pitchers. I'll get some pics later tomorrow. :)

Hooray! After many months of waiting for the weather to warm up. I finally received my Truncatas!

queenxking.jpg

queenxkingp.jpg

PS: I'm never buying anything but New Zealand LFS. This crap sucks!

The bag should read:
Contents: Grass clippings; twigs; leaf particles; sphagnum bits; dirt.

On the plus side. I guess I don't need to get any bark for a while. I think I have 1/2 a bag of it in my sphagnum moss.

Mosser lee brand? That stuff is crap! But it's cheap and the plants don't seem to mind the extra "roughage"!

aaawww! they're so cute! :p these pics are making me angry, lol. I want one of these so badly now!

Yes! How did you know? :)

That's good to hear. I did wash it thouroughly a few times to try to get the dirt out. The water was a very dirty brown each time.

Mosser lee is junk. The one bag I bought should have read: grass clippings, twigs, leaf bits.

Aww, and your babies are cute :-D

I have been keeping my little nep outside in my enclosed patio down here in SFL. It is kept in a 'critter carrier' surrounded by sphagum moss to keep humidity high; it gets direct sunlight for about 5 hours thru the patio screen; and I put the lid on at night after spraying to keep the humidity high. I have kept it outside even when the temps have dropped to the 50's at night. I currently have 4 small green pitchers on it. I will be interested to see how it responds to the lowland conditions once summer arrives here. So I guess right now, I am treating it as an intermediate!

My truncata is finally showing some color. I guess the pitchers weren't large enough before. These were taken today.
001-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Here's my latest coloring up
P4170010.jpg

P4170009.jpg

...and the whole plant in 3" pot
P4170011.jpg

I get the feeling I got one of the more robust growers (either that or they like San Diego weather?)

I get the feeling I got one of the more robust growers (either that or they like San Diego weather?)

OMG, sooo... what's your secret? Coffee treatments every day? :0o:

Wow! Now that's a really nice specimen, Thez_yo!

Hehe...thanks!

It's gotten one coffee treatment since I got it (didn't seem to do anything for it unlike the other neps though), and a mix that's half coco husk chunks that flytrapshop sells and half chilean lfs, water once a week, 4ish hours direct sunshine through a window from ~1:45-6pm this time of year (like 2 hours in the winter, oops), and humidity that's somewhere between 30%-80% LOL. As for temps, about 5ish degrees warmer during the day and 10ish degrees warmer at night than coastal San Diego. Also helps that it got a head-start from Tony, and that it sits in a tray with friends like N.jacq, N.flava, and N.macro (to mock them that they don't make nice pitchers for me). :-))

I think I've fed it once on some snail eggs I found outside on a snail buried in my onions...

I've honestly tried as long as I could to not look at this thread, I knew from the BE photo's they'd be breathtakingly gorgeous but who knew they'd grow wicked fast too! Is it weird that I find them cute?

Sigh. One day...

They are pretty cute...I was contemplating getting another because I see the ones in this country haven't all be snapped up yet and because mine's doing so well. Of course, 5 years from now they'd *both* be big huge Nepenthes truncata bushes!

Yeah I'm planning on a Truncata/Truncata hybrid in my near future to see what the fuss is about. How manageble can the plant be in size if I religiously prune it or will I have to give it away when it gets too big?

Yeah I'm planning on a Truncata/Truncata hybrid in my near future to see what the fuss is about. How manageble can the plant be in size if I religiously prune it or will I have to give it away when it gets too big?

You can't really do much to prune them, the leaves get the size of a dinnerplate anyway. I have a Pasian that is 2ft across in my window, my mom has one that is about a foot under lights, and I'm getting one of the black ones very soon. I love truncatas. :-O

I think I'm just going to grow it out for like a year until I have to give it to somebody here. I just think they're beautiful and I love the comical leaf shape. I love all neps really.

Yeah but seriously beautiful plants guys. You guys are lucky!

Back