What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albo's thick roots

Hi guys...I just realised today when i repotted my albo into a airier mix (cos its not in good conditions) that it has sort of tap root system instead of the normal fibrous root system on neps...I've seen pictures of other neps like Viking/Globosa having rhizomes/tuber or some sort of thick roots..I guess this probally is how they deal with dry soil in their naturaly enviroment..

Here are some pics
RIMG2496.jpg

RIMG2497.jpg

Ken

Interesting... Did not know that.
Thanks for the pics :)

What are those green cubes in your nep mix?
I noticed the tap root on my albos also. I think it makes them more drought resistant, but thats just a guess.

Hi Zero....So its not just mine then...Albos tend to like drier or maybe airier mixes..And it the wild during the dry season it can get really dry i heard soo maybe thats what the roots are for..BTW those greencubes are called florafoam..Its a inorganic material which doesn't decompose...It came together wif the albo when i got it..A friend told me some CPs/neps dun like it..Its like a sponge. It absorbs water and is also used for drainage i guess

Florafoam.. Is that the stuff used for cut flower arrangements? Called oasis here..

/Dan

Back