What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many nodes can activate at once

Hi guys...I cut off the top part of my gracilis's stem to make some cuttings and now after 2 weeks the mother plant has some dormant nodes starting to sprout..I always thought that the plant would only activate one but today when i examined my gracilis closely i saw that there is 2 nodes of the green part of the stem, 1 on the brown part and another one coming from the stem just slightly above the LFS...They are all sprouting at once..All 4 sooo do they actually produce that many?? Cos it would be nice to have 4 growing points:-D

In theory, and someone tell me i I'm wrong, all the nodes could activate. Leaving you with some kind of nep/bush thing.

correct. in theory every node could have the potential to activate! in reality though it is most common to see from 1-3. my sanguinea, after i cut it way back, activated a total of 7 nodes. it was a nice little bonus =]

Alex

I had one of my older neps activate 4/4 nodes when the growth point burnt off. However, 3/4 growth points aborted and the node closest to the apex remained active and now is the main growth point.

depends on the individual plant and occasionally species......some really dont seem to like starting to grow from the nodes, others will activate nearly all when the main growth point is cut......most fall somewhere in the middle......

how many nodes are there on it? On a gracilis id expect upwards of 3. :)

The most nodes I've seen activated before were five, on a ventricosa.

Well, its not a cutting, but i have a glabrata that was damaged in a mite attack, and for every damaged leaf it activated a node...i think im up at around 10 active nodes right now, but i think some will be canceled off.

I once saw an inermis vine about 2 feet long where every single node was activated. There were at least 15 new shoots there.

I chopped my large raff down a while ago.
Last time I checked it has 5 nodes sprouting.

Hi guys...I think some might have misunderstood..My cutting has the gorwth tip already so no reasons to sprout a node what i was saying in this thread was the mother plant which is having nodes sproutin...Anyways looks like 4-5growing points is actually possible

Hi guys...I cut off the top part of my gracilis's stem to make some cuttings and now after 2 weeks the mother plant has some dormant nodes starting to sprout..I always thought that the plant would only activate one but today when i examined my gracilis closely i saw that there is 2 nodes of the green part of the stem, 1 on the brown part and another one coming from the stem just slightly above the LFS...They are all sprouting at once..All 4 sooo do they actually produce that many?? Cos it would be nice to have 4 growing points:-D

I trimmed back a Nepenthes hamata quite a while back and there are now approximately six plants growing from that original cut . . .

I've seen eight pop up at the same time on my alata x ventrata, on a particularly long vine. Of those, four have continued to grow and I expect at least two to survive "permanently." (However long that is.) I didn't even cut it, it just fell over and the growth tip went into uppers, then it started budding like crazy along the bend in the stem.
~Joe

I have a deroose alata ... alata x (alata x ventricosa) that activated about 5 nodes last year due to a catastrophe. I left it outside a little too long and let the temps get down to about 45 degrees. The main growth point burnt off and 5 nodes started to grow. 3 kept growing and 2 quickly stopped growing.

This summer, I let it get a little dry (I know I abuse this one badly) and when I went to go water it I noticed that about 5-8 nodes activated near the base which is a woody stem. They are still growing at this point with no signs of slowing.

From my limited observations, the activation of nodes seems to be when the plant goes into survival mode and is getting prepared to cut its losses or recover from injury. I may be way off base here, but just what I have observed from my poor bushy neglected ventrata.

Back