What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes singalana

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Anyone grow this species? I'm thinking of getting one and I hear it's really easy to grow. What kind of humidity can it take?

I'm looking at buying this species because it looks cooler than the common Nepenthes sanguinea and Nepenthes ventricosa that are starter plants.

singalana_belirang.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Its a highlander, likes high humdity. I have a rooted cutting its doing well so far.

I just got one recently as well. Of all the new plants in the shipment, I'd say the Nepenthes singalana had the least amount of set back and is looking very healthy and happy...it would make a nice addition to your collection.

Well Its a highlander, likes high humdity. I have a rooted cutting its doing well so far.

Well, my Nepenthes ventricosa thrived growing under my lamp in my bedroom. Would Nepenthes singalana thrive in a similar condition?

ah i know where that photo came from, its a good friend of mines LOL
i have a Nepenthes singalana, it does well and pitchers once in awhile, im expecting a pitcher on this next leaf now that its acclimated and growing well in my Greenhouse

*Raises hand*

Nepenthes singalana is a bit slow for me, but its pitchers are well worth the wait. Not sure about the whole humidity thing, though.

Well, my Nepenthes ventricosa thrived growing under my lamp in my bedroom. Would Nepenthes singalana thrive in a similar condition?

Um. Just because Nepenthes ventricosa is a technically a highlander, doesn't mean ALL highlanders can live in the same conditions. :p Do you have any terrariums or anything for Nepenthes, or is a lamp the only thing you have?

if you want a "cooler" beginner plant get some wicked hybrids! or a big/colorful from of Nepenthes maxima, Nepenthes alata, or a dark from of a Nepenthes sanguinea. Most LLs are easy if they are kept hot...

Nepenthes singalana is a spectacular highlander. I definitely want to get one these days. Definitely a better choice than a Nepenthes ventricosa. Although...my suggestion: Get a hygrometer/thermometer from pet store (Should be 5-10$ for the analog dials). Get a read on humidity, temps at prospective locations. That way u can first get a good idea without getting disheartened once u get the plant and it doesn't do well.

Either way if you are into CP cultivation....u are going to need those tools anyway. So even if you change ur mind to anther Nepenthes... they will be useful to have.

Regarding a makeshift chamber... consideirng u will probably get a pretty small plant.....just get yourself a 5-10$ 2.5 or 5 gallon aquarium. I used to grow VFTs, sundews etc etc in there for a long time. Then you can turn it on the side and have a nice little Nepenthes chamber at a very reasonable price.

This is how I grew my Nepenthes ventricosa. Room temperature, under a lamp about 12 hours a day, and watered with tap water. It grew well and thrived.

Would Nepenthes singalana grow the same way?

003-6.jpg

I like Nepenthes singalana. Mine's been a somewhat slow, but steady, grower. The pitchers last long. Mine's now been growing in a windowsill environment (ie, low humidity) for the last 3 months and hasn't skipped a beat.

Give it a shot if its not too expensive dude. What's there to loose for ya??

CFL bulb in a desklamp such as that should provide good lighting without too much heat. They do get a little warm though which could pose an issue for Nepenthes singalana. On the other hand N. singalana like nice bright light..Certainly can't hurt too much to try. You will need another lamp though as it is difficult to light more than one plant with such a small bulb and fixture.

You may want to have your tap water tested though or purchase ro/distilled water from the store. Perhaps you can collect some rain water? Mineral buildup could be a potential problem otherwise. Particularly with the plants sitting in those undrained plastic saucers if the water is allowed to sit and evaporate.

Florida seems like it might be a problem for highlanders, but I like mine:
P1090634.jpg

wow best Nepenthes singalana i've ever seen, you can really see the teeth on yours!

Guess I have something to look forward to now. LOL.

I agree with Tony about that cup you have your Nepenthes pot sitting in. Indoors evaporation shouldn't be an issue so why not the typical 1" or so type of saucer? If it were exposed to very strong/hot sunlight that dried it I could understand the greater watering capacity, but under a fluorescent on an air conditioned desk top it seems a less than ideal choice.

Mine died. too hot.

Wolfn, how is your Nepenthes singalana doing?

Back