What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbe question about pitcher growth

My N.ventrata I got this spring has a nice pitcher with which I am very pleased.
There are a few other itsy bitsy pitchers which seem to be growing v e r y s l o w l y.
There is also a tiny dead one, so I know what for-sure dead ones look like but not too sure what healthy tiny ones are supposed to look like and for how long.
The little ones seem to be going a lot slower than the one that has matured did.
Maybe I'm just being impatient.
Comments?

tell us more about how you are growing your plant. What kind of temps, water, light, etc. Ventrata is an very easy to grow plant, but you may have something off like not enough light or too much heat or something

Sure.
Daytime temp 77 to 83F
Night time temp 65 - 77F
Humidity runs aprox 45 to 50%

I have it sitting under a 100w equiv (36w actual) CFL with a nice reflector, on a timer about 12 hours on every day. Other than that it gets bright indirect light from a nearby south window. No direct sun.
The top leaves are a few inches from the bulb. It's growing, so I have to keep moving the light.
I water with only distilled water, from the top. Not enough that it sits in water, but enough to keep the top moist.
Looking into the mature pitcher there is plenty of liquid, with several fruit flies dissolving in it, aprox 6 or 8.
Since it has these fruit flies should I give it anything bigger? This pitcher is about 3" long, the opening is almost big enough to stick my thumb in, and the base is about twice my thumb in diameter.

I have my N.miranda hotlips in the same room though under a different light, and they are doing great.
They are seedlings though, and the ventrata is a mature plant.

If you got it recently, it's probably still adjusting. But ventratas acclimate very quickly, so it won't take too long for it to starting growing normally again. Also, if the ventrata is getting too large, you can put it outside on a porch or patio in a shady area like mine.

Yes, it looks like you are doing everything right. It might be in shock from a recent move. You can do a foliar feeding of superthrive to help give it a little boost if you need to, but it has a trap with flies in it so it is getting some nutrient.

OK, so as to your question about which pitchers are good; they may take forever and then still actually inflate or maybe not. Patience is key in growing Nepenthes. There are experienced growers, growing rare ones that have taken over a decade to flower. My point is there are other things to worry about in life. Like B28 stated, you've got very good growing conditions. Be patient, ventrata will produce well for you is my bet. Oh, if they brown and dry up, whack 'em off.

Well, I have one too. Your lighting sounds good. What I do to water though is to water so that it comes out of the bottom and sits in the saucer, and when It evaporates I wait a couple of days to water again. That might work.

Back