What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. reinwardtiana

Just thought id share a couple pics of my newest, N. reinwardtiana pitcher, the plant was grown in full sun and the leaf is a dark redish color. i moved it to partial sun/shade now and its newest leaf is green lol, so it only has that one red leaf.

pictures006.jpg

pictures007.jpg

Id also like to say the n. alata 'elongata' and my n. effulugent koto are comming back from there little stubs, they were 2 out of the 3 plants that were seriously injured, all down to about a stub with no leaves, but new growth is forming, the other plant is n. spectabilis i dont see any new growth on that one though, so im glad i kept them, its been about 3-4 weeks since ive had a wildlife attack and there finally starting to push out new growth :)

dustin

Woah, very nice shape on that pitcher!! How long have you been growing the plant?

Thanks i love its pitchers too, I think since last summer, its i believe vining now :), or close, cant wait for uppers

dustin

Nice, I hear Reinwardtiana is very vigorous! Nice plant!

so far it is, it didnt pitcher month in the winter months but once it was given longer light hours, all the pitchers inflated at once :)

sorry the plant isn't picture perfect lol, i decided not to clean the leaves and pitcher, its growing outside currently alongside all the other neps on my growlist

dustin

Hey Dustin, is this a highland variety, or standard lowland?

Highland variety clue

dustin

Nice. N. Reinwardtiana is one of the few green Nepenthes I like (and yes, I know there's a red form).

Dustin, it looked like lowland form.The wings are apparent in the green and red lowland form but not the highland. H/L form are 3-4 times longer and had tubby pitcher on lower section. If anyone was interested i will upload some pics for comparison.

L/L reinwardtiana were found to thrive up to 1000 meter with night temp 18ºC, night humidity
90% . Day temp 27ºC and humidity around 60%. Thus they love the summer weather grown in the open.

Id be interested in a pic for comparison, my plant isn't that big yet, i can post a pic of the whole plant if needed. thats interesting to hear as it was sold to me as a highlander from a trusted nursery, and right now it grows as a highlander. and we are having a really cool summer here in NY, or where im at, we finally hit 90F for the first time this year since last september i believe is what they said. otherwise temps this year have been high 70s, low to mid 60, though this week is a hot time, we hit that 90 monday, and were are in low to mid 80s till the weekend. Humidity is really never high, we've had lots of rain, so maybe it has been 50% i havnt check how humid it is so maybe ill try to get something.

Humidity is currently at 83% on a news weather page, though again this is the hottest week we've had all summer, plus the added rain, were supposed to hit mid 70s, and as low as 55 this weekend, which my highlanders love

dustin

Hi Dustin, here are the pics. in the wild habitats.

Lowland red and green form.

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

highland red and green form.

DSC_8987.jpg

DSCN5369.jpg

Actually the wings could just be that it is a young plant. I do believe the highland form has wings on immature pitchers. However, I could be wrong. Feel free to correct me.

Im glad i posted this :), if i didnt i would have never found this out, thank you very much, i will contact the person i bought them from to let them know, **but first is that trait found throughout all forms of the pitchers? i think mine are intermediate, not uppers yet**

heres a pic of the whole plant.
pictures013.jpg

dustin

I have 2 "green" reinwardtianas of apparently different clones. Both have prominent wings. One is pure green, very similar to yours, the other is speckled orange inside the pitcher. The nursery I got these from labelled them as intermediates.

I also have the red form which has very little as far as wings go.

Jason

rbjong can we some lowers of those 2 highland reinwards for comparison?
you showed us the 2 lowers from lowlands with no uppers, and 2 uppers from the highland with no lowers....of course thats gonna be a little different lol. ive seen the highland red form with lowers in person, it didnt have wings......

A friend who read the forum, call me "the wings are not a good pointer to separate lowland and highland, neither the 2 spots". OK, only mature pitcher will determine either L/L or H/L.

Back