What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Pot lil N. RAJAH or lil N. RAJAH lil pot ?

CN

BANNED
hi TF'ers
I have just received my N. Rajah after waiting a year for it an was wondering if anyone had some growing expireance with the plant . an would be able to lend a helping hand .
Now i have heard of a person here who had a Rajah (HUGE one Biggest in the States ) they when to repot it an the stress an shock killed it . i will not mention who . anyhow was wanting to Know should i plan on this plant staying in this pot for many many years so i should pot it in a large pot ( 10" ) the plant it self is only about 5 1/2" from tip to tip . or should i plant it in a 6" pot until it grows out of it in several years .
Any advice

Thanks Daren

Rajah has a fairly large root system. From what I've heard the roots like to spread outwards.

I second the big pot! If you have the room there is no reason not too. You can use superthrive durring transplant to help reduce shock. I soak the new medium in it and then top water with it right after transplant. It's worked for me!

If you've got the room for sure go with the bigger pot. No nep has ever died from being in too big of a pot but you can sure stress some of them out by letting them get pot bound. Also, with this plant you should go with a mix that isn't too heavy on sphagnum moss or peat as they tend to break down fast and could result in the need to repot before the plant actually out grows the pot it's in.

Not sure how true it is for this nepenthes, but I hear that plants that are fussy when it comes to a mixture that isn't to hard on the root system when it ages that they use wood chips and lots of inorganic mixes put in with only a small amount of the water retaining organic ingredients. You may have to water more though.

I cant find it but about two years ago I saw this picture of a humongous hanging basket that was like 3 feet in diameter, it was next to a average height lady for comparison. I believe it was like 80 dollars or something like that.

My large rajah kicked it after repotting, when it was received from BE and sent to me it barely had any root system.
My smaller rajah however is growing finally in the greenhouse
I PERSONALLY would pot it in a larger pot to keep from having to repot it again in the future. Maybe a 10" pot would be best for now?

I have my Rajah in a 6 inch pot, though know they should have a big one form the beginning, i just don't have the space right now :/ its growing quite fast... don't know what I'll do with it hehe.

thank you All very much for your help an Advice i did go ahead an pot it in a 10" pot so i cant wait to Will this plant off ........lol

NRajah.jpg

daren

I forgot to mention, its a good idea to add material organiz/inorganic, that don't decompose quickly. A problem with keeping plant long term in a pot, es[pecially with so much media, is compacting, as the media say peat, and moss decompose, the compressing around the rootball, with could eventually lead to rot. I've seen quite a few people with exquisit Rajahs lose their plants that way.

2: perlite
1; peat
1: dry lfs
2: cedar mulch
1: sand

Hey daren, i would actually avoid peat in rajah pots as from what im understanding it inhibits root development, but from the sound of it you have enough other stuff to counteract that issue...

OK tHANKS kRIS ,
STUPID as i am i changed the media to
2: Cedar mulch,
2: pelite ,
1: sand,

Daren

Back