What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered myself a Nepenthes Ampullaria

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I just ordered myself a Nepenthes Ampullaria.

Can someone please give my some good tips for this plant? I read in several places that it will thrive in shady conditions. Would this do well on my windowsill?

Most neps do well on a window. I have mine in low humidity.. after acclimationz. It grows on a s.window with bright light 9am-3pm then full sun 3-6pm.

amps love it warm and humid, but are also able to take highland temps if im not mistaken
take some photos of it when you get it and update us on it if you do the windowsill method

Nepenthes ampullaria certainly likes it on the warmer side; and I've seen it grown both in sweltering conditions and, to a lesser degree, as an intermediate. Considering that you're in Florida, you should have little problem with it . . .

Definately hot... but not nessecarily humid. If its not humid... It wont pitcher.. (like mine) but its basals will pitcher.. how funny is that? :/ Or it could just be the way amps do it. I've got my amp in temps up to 111. 16% humidity. It's fine. Vining. Healthy. Just keep it wet and it'll do finee.

I've noticed that N. ampullaria seems to do much better when it's in the shade of another plant. You might want to try keeping it a short distance from the window, or underneath the canopy of a larger houseplant, if it grows slowly or refuses to pitcher. This is one significant exception to the, "more light is good," Nep-growing mantra.
If the window is north-facing or already shaded by trees or something, you should be all set. But just glass and a screen won't cut full sun enough to create the kind of shade these guys seem to expect.
~Joe

I know that highlander Nepenthes can experience lower humidity than other plants, but what about some of the lowlanders like Ampullaria? I've had Mexican butterworts and Cephalotus thrive on my windowsill, so I'm wondering if Ampullaria will do well in the same humidity.

Most Nepenthes will grow perfectly fine in full sun in the wild, including N. ampullaria. I highly doubt you will have any trouble with too much light on your windowsill. The key of course is to acclimate it since most plants will not have been grown in the nursery with that bright intensity.

I also disagree that N. ampullaria is ok in highland conditions... I have tried and it hates it! I think the problem is that most peoples idea of highland really isn't so they think they are growing a lowland plant in 'highland' conditions. True N. ampullaria is more tolerant than some of the other lowland plants but toss it in real highland conditions for a prolonged time frame and it will steadly go downhill.

Have you noticed any difference in growth from these in low light, Tony? I've been told that's how to do it, and the one that I have that's off to the corner of my terrarium under the shade of a spider plant seems to do better than the one that is in more direct light. They don't seem to want to pitcher unless the leaves are crowded and scrambling. But, I haven't had much experience besides for my two specimens. Is there anything to this, or am I just conflating my experiences with rumors?
~Joe

Yeah N. ampullaria is not good for true highland conditions. But it does well in intermediate conditions. My grow-room is usually 60 at night, and 80 during the day, but gets down to the low 50s at the coldest point in winter, and I have three different amp varieties growing well for years now.

For lowlanders, they are pretty tough.

Nampullariatricolor1-1.jpg

Last edited:
If I want to keep it a small plant, do I just keep trimming back the stem? I read in the Savage Garden that if you want to keep a low-growing plant with lower pitchers, you just keep cutting back the stem.

True?

Yeah N. ampullaria is not good for true highland conditions. But it does well in intermediate conditions. My grow-room is usually 60 at night, and 80 during the day, but gets down to the low 50s at the coldest point in winter, and I have three different amp varieties growing well for years now.

For lowlanders, they are pretty tough.

Nampullariatricolor1-1.jpg

beautiful plant.
i'm picking up my forst large ampullaria tomorrow

Definitely likes it steamy and warm. Grows like a weed when given 65 degree nights and 90 degree days with full humidity.

In my experience it more or less barely does anything in highland conditions.

Warm to hot conditions. As far as I know, more humidity helps in speeding up the plant's growth and increasing the pitcher size. Another thing is the light intensity. It appears that the basal rosettes or small young plants prefer it shady. However, when it vines, it can take strong sunlight like any other nepenthes.

This thread is so old. I currently have an ampullaria growing in my terrarium very successfully.

Warm to hot conditions. As far as I know, more humidity helps in speeding up the plant's growth and increasing the pitcher size. Another thing is the light intensity. It appears that the basal rosettes or small young plants prefer it shady. However, when it vines, it can take strong sunlight like any other nepenthes.

thank you everyone for your tips

Back