What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking a new Nep, Looking for Inputs

Hi,

I'm currently growing 3 variations of nepenthes ampullaria, they are all growing well (producing new leaves and pitchers) and one is just starting to produce its first ground pitcher.

Some general info on my growing conditions, 2 T5HO lights, Temps 60-80, humidity 60-99%.

Now what I'm really looking for is a small pitchers vining type that would do well in a vivarium with the ampullarias, I want to stick with species as I'm not ready to get into the whole hybrid mess yet. I'm wanting one that is alot more vining than the ampullarias are to add some contrast.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Your open to a wide range of Nepenthes with those conditions. Lowland, intermediate, and a lot of highlanders.
It's really a matter of what you like. Just about anything will add contrast to amps, they're very unique as pitchers go.

Is there anything that has recently caught your eye?

Hi,

I'm currently growing 3 variations of nepenthes ampullaria, they are all growing well (producing new leaves and pitchers) and one is just starting to produce its first ground picture.

Some general info on my growing conditions, 2 T5HO lights, Temps 60-80, humidity 60-99%.

Now what I'm really looking for is a small picture vining type that would do well in a vivarium with the ampullarias, I want to stick with species as I'm not ready to get into the whole hybrid mess yet. I'm wanting one that is alot more vining than the ampullarias are to add some contrast.

Any suggestions?

I want a Nep that makes pictures!

But seriously, N. gracilis vines a lot.

sounds like gracillis would be what your looking for.....

actually with the good light if you want something on the small side id venture a guess and say glabrata
it vines at a small size and has beautiful dainty pitchers.

Would glabrata do well with night time temps in the low 60s? In the summer they would be around 65 as a low, I always figured that was too high for highlands.

Would glabrata do well with night time temps in the low 60s? In the summer they would be around 65 as a low, I always figured that was too high for highlands.

With 80*F day temps? Yes, from what I've heard and seen. Others may think differently, though.

thats fine for anything not an ultra highlander.......just having a nighttime dip is the important thing for the less fussy species.....

I hear nepenthes truncata is a good vining plant for a terrarium....

Maybe N. bellii, a dainty lowlander from the Philippines?

Not mine:
nbellii2.jpg

Here are the three that I think would work best so far, I'm leaning toward bellii right now. Still have alot of research and more Neps to look into thou.

N. gracilis
N. glabrata
N. bellii

Are you limiting it to only species?
if not, a great hybrid would be N. spectabilis x aristolochioides....the BE version is what i have, and is very vigorous, and very beautiful
another good one would be jamban or jacquelineae
both are vigorous and do well in highland/intermediate conditions

I'd go for glabrata due to it's smaller size, it would do fine with your conditions, it seems though that the lowland ampullaria might be the fussier one of the two your conditions sound pretty highlandish.

My conditions are ultra highland. :(

N. bellii is nice, especially if you have limited space. But it sounds like you could probably do well with some intermediates or even the more tolerant highlanders - I second Kris' suggestion to think about hybrids. N. chaniana x vietchii is one of my favorites among plants that like warm days.
~Joe

I'd say you'd do well with the ones you're thinking about now. Bellii should be tolerant of warm days, seeing as it's a lowlander. Gracilis as well. Glabrata, from what I've heard is mainly sensitive to low humidity (the leaves are really thin). If the humidity's decent you could grow it easily though.

Back