What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us your seed grown truncata!

Show us your SG black truncata!

Mine arrived today :-O

truncata0909A.jpg

truncata0909B.jpg

Av

Nice! What else is in the pot besides live sphagnum and a seed-grown truncata?

ummmm nothing ???

Just wondered. :) I use peat/vermiculite/perlite/orchid bark for my Nep and want to try using live sphagnum as a potting agent at some point. It looks nicer and I won't have to mix anything, much less take a hammer to orchid bark..

There is some debate over its long term use. But with delicate young plants it has its advantages.

Av

aaawwww, it's so cute! lol, nice plants.

Cool! Mine hasn't been shipped yet. That looks tiny though, I guess I was expecting them to have larger root systems.

A slightly larger plant with good pitcher colouration.
black_truncata_collage.jpg

Close-up of speckles
black_truncata_speckles.jpg

Very nice C!
Setting the standard :hail:

How long have you had it?
Av

Hi,

Here's my seedling. It has been in my care for only 10 days, but it seems to have adjusted well. I can't take credit for the last leaf since the petiole length on the new growth hinted that there would be a significant increase in size. I haven't grown truncata from this small size before, so I didn't know what to expect. The bigger specimens that I have grown have been pretty slow.

First photo is from the day after it arrived

truncatablack1.jpg

...9 days later.

truncatablack2.jpg

Regards,

Christer

Christer,
That's an amazing jump in size for the week after being in transit! It sure likes something you're doing. What are your conditions (media, temps, lighting...)?

Wow, it looks very nice despite the fact the leaf is completely unproportional to the plant, lol.

Wow, that new leaf is huge compared to the rest of it!

Mine was shipped today!

geeze... LOL
Av

Okay, that's it, I'm giving in. When is the next offer for them? :p :rolleyes:

STEROIDS! I SWEAR thats like 2.5x bigger.

Hi,

Thanks everyone,

Ron,

It is potted in live sphagnum, and the pot sits inside a plastic bag, so obviously humidity is high. Warm temperature: 73 to 84 degrees F night/day. It is six inches below a 54W (T-5 bulb). I might seem close, but since the grow space right below the light was occupied already, I had to place it out on the side. So to give it decent lighting I placed it higher, and tilted the pot towards the light.

I've read that N. truncata when grown to a certain size can start to have leaves much bigger than the previous one, but I hadn't expected to see this at this size. Another thing that surprised me is how quickly the new growth has been released from the latest leaf. That might hint something about the over-all growth rate. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Regards,

Christer

Here are mine

TRUNCATA1.jpg

TRUNCATA2.jpg

Peace,
Zero

Wish I had a N. Truncata.

Back