What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria My first Basal Pitchers!

Just thought I'd share a picture, I'm growing a few N. ampullaria variations and this is the first one I have that decided to grow any of these. They are tiny little things about 1" right now but its a start.

N. ampullaria 'Brunei Red'

3957239026_648c0559dd_b.jpg

Wow that's awesome!! I love how the babies are so fuzzy.

Since you have a couple, mind me asking how long it took for them to settle in and grow again after you bought them?

Mine have always been good growers, they started putting up new leaves about a week or two after potting them.

Cute. :) Thanks for sharing.

Mine have always been good growers, they started putting up new leaves about a week or two after potting them.

Hrm...mine's been with me for a good month and a half and has leaves that are maybe an inch long. I had 2 leaves dry up, three stay exactly where they were, and not grown even a millimeter yet. At least it looks like it has gotten used to my lower humidity... *sigh*

Hrm...mine's been with me for a good month and a half and has leaves that are maybe an inch long. I had 2 leaves dry up, three stay exactly where they were, and not grown even a millimeter yet. At least it looks like it has gotten used to my lower humidity... *sigh*

Well mine are a little on the spoiled side of things...they live with there rich uncle the orchids and there cousin the ferns...so they have constant 80%+ humidity, daily misting, good airflow, good lighting, all the fungus gnats they can eat, company jet, etc.

If you just repotted it and the 2 leaves that dried up are the bottom ones I would not worry about it. After repotting the first thing they do is regrow roots and without higher humidity they will put a higher priority on a good root system. With my humidity and misting I don't think they considered growing roots a real concern and went straight to active growth.

OK, I'll keep waiting. They showed up at my door step shoved into some pure dead sphag with their roots still in a tight bundle of whatever plugs they grow in at the wholesale place. I decided I would have none of that so I released the root ball and stuck the whole thing in 3:2 coco husk/dead sphag and I *just* removed the humidity baggie 4 days ago because it finally stopped looking angry.

Mine lives with the orchids too...in front of a hot drafty window :-)) Can you post a pic of your ferns/orchids/amp setup too?

What do you grow your amp in...looks like bark/perlite/lfs?

OK, I'll keep waiting. They showed up at my door step shoved into some pure dead sphag with their roots still in a tight bundle of whatever plugs they grow in at the wholesale place. I decided I would have none of that so I released the root ball and stuck the whole thing in 3:2 coco husk/dead sphag and I *just* removed the humidity baggie 4 days ago because it finally stopped looking angry.

Mine lives with the orchids too...in front of a hot drafty window :-)) Can you post a pic of your ferns/orchids/amp setup too?

What do you grow your amp in...looks like bark/perlite/lfs?

Thats about how mine arrived too. I ordered some coco husk and really don't like it so it went out in the patio plants.

I'll try and get a pic of my setup when I get the time the next week will be a busy one from the look of things so it may be a while, I have to move the kitchen table to be able to take a photo. Really need a wider angle lens I guess.

I'm using a mix of about 1 part bark/perlite/vermiculite/the large pieces of shifted peat moss to 1/2 part charcoal/clay pellets/lava rock and whatever random stuff I might have left over from the last fern/orchid/cp repotting I can use. I don't use sphagnum moss due to the high humidity and the misting, its just stays too wet. I really think Neps are like orchids when it comes to mediums, you could grown them in marbles so long as you keep the marbles at the right moisture. Its not so much what your using its what you need to use with that your growing area needs your to use. I bet that made no sense :crazy:.

That actually did make sense. Last time I pulled the orchids out of decomposing sphag I considered just hanging them off fishing line or getting a wooden basket to put them in without repotting. Considering that I have to vanish now and then for travel for work, I figure that would scare the plant-sitter too much and decided to pot them back up in that stuff they sell as orchid potting mix - bark pieces and white stuff.

I like to keep everything on the dry side because I have had to deal with soggy humid inadequately ventilated old houses my whole life and don't really want to deal with mold anywhere any more.

Back