What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep fertilizer yielded green growth - harmless?

I fertilized my Nep two Tuesdays ago, flushed it with a lot of water a couple days later, and now I'm looking at the pot and I see some "growth" on there. I assume it's harmless but I wanted to check with you guys first because my gut instinct is to repot and use less soil to I can flush the pot more effectively.

The Nep (Ventricosa) seems happy and is growing actively...formed one pitcher (was badly etiolated when I got it three weeks ago) and is growing 3 new leaves, each with small pitchers forming.

I'm using 1/4 strength 20-14-13 Better-Gro (the stuff xvart used).

Soil mix is equal parts peat, perlite, vermiculite, and orchid bark, plus some charcoal thrown in since it came with the orchid bark.

Here are a few pics.

algae

it's most likely due to the fertilizer, flush more next time if you'd prefer to avoid the algae. It wont do any harm but it is unsightly IMO. I have it in a few of my pots that I dont fertilize. There's no need to repot unless you can see some leaf burn due to the fertilizer.

algae

it's most likely due to the fertilizer, flush more next time if you'd prefer to avoid the algae. It wont do any harm but it is unsightly IMO. I have it in a few of my pots that I dont fertilize. There's no need to repot unless you can see some leaf burn due to the fertilizer.

That's what it looked like, but I'm mostly clueless when it comes to plants, mainly just what I've studied on CP's and learning from you all.

I'll dig out some of the algae-ridden soil so I can flush better...the reason it's growing is because the soil is so high all the water went straight down the middle and none went to the sides. The "middle" has no algae.

Thanks. :)

I meant to post something a while back but forgot. I wouldn't worry about it too much, nor would I switch soil composition. Just pick it out as you can.

xvart.

I meant to post something a while back but forgot. I wouldn't worry about it too much, nor would I switch soil composition. Just pick it out as you can.

xvart.

Thanks - that's what I'm going to do. :)

I also carefully "spooned" out some excess soil so I have a half-inch between the top of the pot and the soil so I can flush it out more effectively.

Back