What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My nep. arrived!

I was checking the tracking status for the package and I read it was out for delivery. Not even a minute later the door bell rang and it was here. I carefully unpackaged it, straightened out the pitchers and put a little water in them. I watered it with distilled water and put the pot on a high sided plate as a temporary saucer and then put that plate in a larger high sided plate filled with water. I also lightly misted it with distilled water. I did the last 2 things because I have 57% humidity in my house and thought that misting and the plate of water would ease the humidity shock enough. I put it in my windowsill right out of the box because we have rain and heavy overcast clouds outside that will be around for a while so the light is very gentle. It is a Nepenthes Ventrata by the way. And how full do you fill the pitchers exactly? I knew it was 1/4 of something but I don't remember if it was 1/4 inch or 1/4 of the pitcher. I did the latter as it seemed more reasonable as not all pitchers are the same size so I would imagine they would be filled proportionally.

Is this from me? If so, you probably don't need to go too nuts on worring about humidity or light... We have really bright sun here and they only have a thin shadecloth over the greenhouse. Humidity wise, it is probably around 50% or so most the time (some up, some down). Yes, 1/4 of the pitcher should be good.

Andrew

My Miranda that I bought for andy ( for 50c wayy too much) made close to two new leaves in 118F and 20% humidity.

Yes, it is from you Andy. I was concerned about humidity because the 3 days it spent in the bag were at 100% humidity judging from the fact that water was condensing on stuff. What is pretty sweet is that after I bought a VTF from Lowe's which is where I work I got at least a couple people seriously interested in carnivorous plants. One employee I helped pick out a Nep from the store because she was going to get a VTF but when I notified her of the dormancy requirement and told her about a Nep she said she liked it. I copied the care sheet I got with my plant to give to her tomorrow. That will also possibly send her here. Another coworker will possibly be buying a nep on the forum's shop once i get her the info. I made them both aware of the care requirements so they know what they are getting into.

---------- Post added 10-03-2009 at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-02-2009 at 10:55 PM ----------

how long should I wait until I repot it? I have the LFSM, orchid bark and perlite. I have a great plastic pot at least 8" wide that can be hung if needed. also, one of the pitcher's lid is brown on one half of it, but not dried up. should I leave it or trim it? I would think I would compromise the pitcher if I trim the lid, but also I have heard trimming brown stuff off helps the plant.

Yes, it is from you Andy. I was concerned about humidity because the 3 days it spent in the bag were at 100% humidity judging from the fact that water was condensing on stuff.

Three days won't drastically acclimate the plant during a three day shipping. It will be fine. The problems that may arise is when a plant comes from an environment that is very high humidity and goes to an environment with significantly lower humidity. That is when people acclimate with bags and such.

xvart.

Ahh good, then you get the thank you membership :) I'll turn it on for ya. Sending people my way is always appriciated :D and that care sheet is also available off a link from the home page of my store. It was just potted into that so it really doesn't need to be moved for quite some time. If you really want to, just to put it into a bigger pot or whatever you could just wait for a couple leaves to produce and go for it. But don't worry about cleaning out all the current media since it's all new. I'd leave the brown parts on, and clip the whole pitcher when the whole thing dies off if you really want to clip it. I only clean off my neps maybe twice a year, and that's just kinda what I can reach :)
Andrew

Oh and I agree with what xvart said. ;)

oh oh and my wife works at lowes too! She's the admin manager or whatever...

admin manager is my highest up manager. I'm a loader. I do a lot of customer assistance as the store is only a month old so carts are slow.

So is the mix orchid bark, perlite, and moss? That is what I got for repotting it. I want to repot it because I already have a great pot for it and right now I have it in a small dinner plate because I have no separate saucer. Also I found that should I need to supplement the light it gets during the winter i found a good solution. Those bulbs that they say save electricity that are in a spiral shape are actually fluorescent bulbs you can use in you standard light socket. At Lowe's I bought one that puts out the equivalent amount of light of a 100 watt bulb at 6500K color temp aka "daylight" I can put that in a desk lamp that you can aim over top of the plant unobstructed by any lamp shade. Are there any percautions I need to take when repotting? I cleaned, bleached and rinsed the pot thoroughly.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Well, I just repotted it and it went well. It is in a very good quality 9.5" pot. I mixed equal amounts of LFSM, Perlite, and Orchid bark from "Better Grow". The LFSM is some nice stuff from Lowe's. It comes in a rectangular cube bag, and is completely dry, not premoistened which is the bad stuff to buy. I also layed a top layer of LFSM to add a bit of local humidity.

They keep asking her to move to district manager and such but she doesn't want to be that far from the family with all the required traveling, so she just sticks with that position. And most of the time manages to get out of the yearly required trip to Denver Co. hehe!
I have used a compact flourcent before, but don't remember the stats of it. I had to go to home depot though because lowes didn't have something that I felt fit the bill. I'll get the info on it from the g/h and let you know. The bark looking stuff in my mix is actually coconut husk, I've heard of people using bark of some kind but I never have.

Andrew

That bulb should be fine for one nep. I use some of those 26w, 100w equivalent 6500k lights in my growtent and mini greenhouse. They work well.
I wouldn't use any misting as I tried that for a while and noticed no difference between spraying and not spraying. I think it may stress the plant more then help it, but I may be wrong.
It gets really dry here in the winter and some of my neps don't pitcher much but take off again once the day's start getting longer
Peace,
Zero

about how far should I keep the light away from the plant? And would 1 hour under that light be considered 1 hours worth equivalent in direct sun, or would it only be considered as much as indirect sun, or weaker?

Back