What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Nepenthes lid problem

Lately these 2 have been developing smaller pitcher lids and have a burnt look to them.
What could be causing this? These are not new plants so they are not in shock and my RH is around 60%. I dont think that's too low as none of the other ones seem to mind and all are getting the same treatment.
I placed the chaniana x veitchii in the lowland tank for an increase in RH to see if this resolves the problem but I just wanted to see if anyone had had this occur before and if they'd found the source.
Thanks ahead of time for the help.

N. 'Menehume'
IMG_2512.JPG

N. chaniana x veitchii
IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

in my experience, the little lid syndrome is generally caused by changes in humidity during pitcher development, usually dramatic changes though....

Some of my Miranda pitchers do that occasionally and I don't know the cause either. They hang on my porch and are not in a controlled environment so it could be anything.

in my experience, the little lid syndrome is generally caused by changes in humidity during pitcher development, usually dramatic changes though....

Same here.

Maybe those are female neps in pms.

Well the humidity was my guess as well. I just couldnt figure out why it only affected these 2 and not the others. We'll see if moving the chaniana x veitchii to the lowland tank will change anything.

well they are P.utting
Up with M.en's
S.h*t

Daren

how does PMS have anything to do with this o_O

idk. its logical. if the nep is female, then it should do something weird monthly correct? so, could one of the problems be the smaller lid, no pitchers, bigger leaves, or smaller leaves? you never know, it just might possible be since nepenthes are different genders unlike most plants which are both genders.

Something weird monthly if it were human Halt, and only Animals go through the menstrual cycle and very few of them do at that, flowering isnt menstrual. highly doubt a female plant would exhibit those changes in growth habit.

Have you repotted them lately, Yann? My vent did this for a month or so after I repotted it.

idk. its logical. if the nep is female, then it should do something weird monthly correct? so, could one of the problems be the smaller lid, no pitchers, bigger leaves, or smaller leaves? you never know, it just might possible be since nepenthes are different genders unlike most plants which are both genders.

*taps foot*
:glare:

Well it seemed logical to me. -.- My teacher said that plants also have different genes. Maybe all nepenthes dna is screwed up because of the carnivorousy taking over its genes. MAYBE IT WAS BIT BY A VAMPIRE BUG AND THE GENES MUTATED TO BECOME CARNIVOROUS! :). im not weird.

The only time that I have faced similar problems, it was a question of low humidity and a combination of full midday sun. Providing some increased shading may be in order and more frequent misting -- especially when pitchers are just beginning to form . . .

Good luck . . .

Thanks for the feedback guys;

Dart: The chaniana x veitchii has been potted since May. It put out a normal pitcher and then the last 3 have been like in the pics shown. The new developing one is looking to be the same as well.

BB: I'm usually gone all day but I do have a humidifier so I think I may have to try that if the lowland tank does not work. Last I used it though condensation started accumulating on the wall and the mold really liked that :S

As for the PMS.....yaaa lol
Btw just for notes the 'Menehume' is female. Got it from a real good friend ;)
No clue yet about the chaniana x veitchii. Though when I bought it I was told it was not finicky about RH???

Thanks for the feedback guys;

Dart: The chaniana x veitchii has been potted since May. It put out a normal pitcher and then the last 3 have been like in the pics shown. The new developing one is looking to be the same as well.

BB: I'm usually gone all day but I do have a humidifier so I think I may have to try that if the lowland tank does not work. Last I used it though condensation started accumulating on the wall and the mold really liked that :S

As for the PMS.....yaaa lol
Btw just for notes the 'Menehume' is female. Got it from a real good friend ;)
No clue yet about the chaniana x veitchii. Though when I bought it I was told it was not finicky about RH???

My hypothesis may concur to a true statement.

My hypothesis may concur to a true statement.

My Neps have never gone through a short lid every month (or any other weird thing), and some are seed grown (they could be females).

And there's a gene that makes plants carnivorous (as you said)? I thought that they evolved to fit the nutrient poor surroundings.

My Neps have never gone through a short lid every month (or any other weird thing), and some are seed grown (they could be females).

And there's a gene that makes plants carnivorous (as you said)? I thought that they evolved to fit the nutrient poor surroundings.

They is what? They is a very vague word, pronoun even. I think they refers to genes, which means their genes would have evolved, but idk, the adults who have college degrees should come disagree/agree or something.

They is what? They is a very vague word, pronoun even. I think they refers to genes, which means their genes would have evolved, but idk, the adults who have college degrees should come disagree/agree or something.

They as in carnivorous plants... the CPs evolved to the nutrient poor surroundings, right? I didn't think that a gene made plants carnivorous, as you stated. o.o

...I believe this is in order:
picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Back