What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Question

When a Pitcher starts to die are you supposed to cut it off??

If you don't like the look of it, yes. If you don't mind, no.

I asked because I cut off a couple of dead ones and it made the tips of the leaves black. How far should you cut it. Flush with the edge of the leaf or closer to the pitcher????

well i personally cut the tendril almost to the tip of the leaf, only leaving about a tiny bit of tendril left on the end, maybe a 1/4 on an inch or so...

I don't cut mine until the pitcher has completely browned. If only the top half is brown, I'm sure the bottom green half is still doing some digesting.

I also wait until they are completely brown, or sometimes just cut the brown off in sections as time goes, as some take so long to completely brown. I figure they are still digesting, photosynthesizing, like mentioned above, and that the browning process is the plant relocating nutrients from the pitcher to other parts of the plant. I figure it could only help the plant. In nature they are allowed to completely absorb/relocate stored nutrients.

Back