What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ailing Ventricosa

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Here's an interesting one, this is my first Nepenthes, which has appeared to have come down with something. It has stopped pitchering, and now has brown spots on all of the leaves. None of my other plants have showed similar symptoms, and this plant has been looking like this for some time now, I just couldn't drum up a camera to take any pictures! I haven't noticed any pests, and as I said, the symptoms have only been local to this plant. Suggestions please!

BTW: The soil is not as dry as it looks, I top all my nepenthes with vermiculite to cut down on mold growth, and as such, the surface often appears very dry.

My ventricosa has the same symptoms as davy has described! Help us please :)

im wondering if its in the media....
but im assuming rust as well,
i dont use vermiculite in my nep mixes anymore because it breaks down and is very alkaline...turns into a nasty goopy mess too...not fun.
Anyway, i would take a magnifying lens of some sort, and search for spider mites, as they are often near impossible to see with the naked eye, especially if the infestation is just beginning.

I would check for pests first. On the close ups of your pic's I can see like white specks which could be pests. If you don't find anything pest wise I would think it's the media. If it's your first nep, have you had it for a while? If so the soil might have broken down and compacted. Just my two cents.

I've tried the top layer of vermiculite before and it worked out well to do exactly what Davy said; keep mold at bay. The last picture is very similar to what I've had on my ventricosa not too long ago due to hard water mineral accumulating. Like you said it stopped pitchering and the leaves started getting hit with brown spots. The 1st 2 pictures dont look quite like mine did but that last one is spot on.
Have you tried flushing the pot? What kind of water do you use?

I made the mistake of using 'RO' water that was at 30 ppm and after a month that was enough to raise the soil levels to 250+ ppm. It's partly what convinced me it was time to get an RO/DI system. A good flushing may be in order here.
Hope your plant recovers soon!

Hey wow, I just got back from brazil and noticed exactly the same problem with my Ventricosa. I was going to make my own post but hey, this is good enough. I got out my fun little microscope thing and saw exactly what SirKristoff said, spider mites... and "little white specks" which turned out to be old skeletons of them! So, as I just got back from a year and a half in Brazil and I have totally forgotten how to kill these fun little pests. what would be my best option? I think i have neem and... maybe some ortho somthing or other... I don't even remember if you CAN use those things... any help would be great! THANKS!!

-isaac

Hey wow, I just got back from brazil and noticed exactly the same problem with my Ventricosa. I was going to make my own post but hey, this is good enough. I got out my fun little microscope thing and saw exactly what SirKristoff said, spider mites... and "little white specks" which turned out to be old skeletons of them! So, as I just got back from a year and a half in Brazil and I have totally forgotten how to kill these fun little pests. what would be my best option? I think i have neem and... maybe some ortho somthing or other... I don't even remember if you CAN use those things... any help would be great! THANKS!!

-isaac

Try Pentac (generic name dienochlor). It is a wettable powder miticide that stays on the leaves' surface. Apply once a week for 4 weeks (to get rid of eggs that will hatch later). Steve_D from flytrapcare.com uses it and swears by it.

You can also try neem oil; it's effective against spider mites as well.

I went nuclear on my spider mite issue...used orthenex and neem oil alternating between them until I finally got them all.

I haven't been around much to look at my plants lately, (now that I have a REAL job I don't get to view my plants as often!) but my defense against it being spider mites is that none of my other plants are showing ANY similar symptoms, and they are all pack into a very small area. I have been using wal-mart brand RO water instead of distilled like I usually have, so that might be the case. When I get a chance I will look a little closer and see if I can find any pests. Updates soon!

Funny that you mention you're using the Wal-mart RO water as that's exactly what I was using. Then I bought a TDS meter and did a flush of the pot and tested the water coming out. It was around 240 ppm.

i would try a systemic pesticide, that has solved similar nep problems for me

I actually use plain old tap water. Last year I called the city and we average aboot 100ppm.
Flushing is good but your problem seems to be a pest. Have you taken the plant to a local extension service of your local university? They will often microscope your plant just to find out themselves.

Back