What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a Parasite on my N. ventricosa? / Should I Trim?

I decided it's about time to trim off the dead brown leaves on my N. ventricosa. Some leaves are half gone and will never form a pitcher, so I don't know if I should leave those or snip 'em.

But when looking under the leaves, I found a sort of webbing. And there might be little guys in there, I can't tell.

What do you think I should do about
1) the half eaten(or burned?) leaves?
2) the funk goin' on underneath the leaves (if there's a problem there)?

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

Bigger image here: http://timb.akwire.net/gallery2/d/6372-1/IMG_0680.JPG Sorry about my ugly finger.

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

You know, I have the hardest time with ventricosa of all plants!

That white webbing looks a little thick to be spider or spider mite, and looks more like the leftovers of a caterpillar cocoon. Do some of the leaves look eaten?

You know, I have the hardest time with ventricosa of all plants!

That white webbing looks a little thick to be spider or spider mite, and looks more like the leftovers of a caterpillar cocoon. Do some of the leaves look eaten?

Hard to say. The only time my CPs have been eaten is when a raccoon (I think) shredded some pitchers. Here are some more.

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

I had pretty terrible lighting there. You can go to http://timb.akwire.net/gallery2/d/6408-1/IMG_0695.JPG to see it blown up, even though it's still not real clear.

I worry about my plants. :(

Hmm, well the leaf on the left that is half brown in that first and second pic could either be burn or it could be some bug on the underside, or maybe just from hard water? The leaf on the right looks like...it sort of looks like it was mushy where there's a piece that's missing - is it mushy? If you water it enough and the roots and growing tip looks ok, it looks like it's mostly older leaves that look like that, so maybe it just had a bad month when you first got it and now whatever did that is passed.

Were it my plant, I'd just give each of the leaves a little rinse with water in the morning (maybe scrub that white web off with a wet q-tip) so the leaves have a chance to dry during the day, and let the plant soak up the remaining nutrients from those old leaves before cutting them off, if the plant looks otherwise healthy. Anyone think it needs some fungicide/insecticide?

Hmm, well the leaf on the left that is half brown in that first and second pic could either be burn or it could be some bug on the underside, or maybe just from hard water? The leaf on the right looks like...it sort of looks like it was mushy where there's a piece that's missing - is it mushy? If you water it enough and the roots and growing tip looks ok, it looks like it's mostly older leaves that look like that, so maybe it just had a bad month when you first got it and now whatever did that is passed.

Were it my plant, I'd just give each of the leaves a little rinse with water in the morning (maybe scrub that white web off with a wet q-tip) so the leaves have a chance to dry during the day, and let the plant soak up the remaining nutrients from those old leaves before cutting them off, if the plant looks otherwise healthy. Anyone think it needs some fungicide/insecticide?

Nothing's mushy on it. Those are, in fact, older leaves. I made a thread before about how I thought I was killing it, but it was just transitioning from the death cube. It's been putting out healthy leaves ever since.

I've used nothing but distilled or rain water for this plant since getting it. I'll do the wet q-tip trick and see where that takes us.

its either a spider, spider mites, or judging by the chew marks on the leaves, could be some small inchworm like caterpillar....

Back