What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep that you want, but can't have?

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
So, name one, just one, nep you'd like to grow but can't.

I can provide highland temps fairly easily, but lowland conditions I cannot. So that makes true lowlanders a no go for me. Honestly, I don't like many lowlanders, so I don't mind much.

But, their is one lowlander I'd love to have : Northiana. A mature northiana makes what I consider to be among the most beautiful pitchers in the genus. The uppers are spectacular. I love the gaping mouth with the bright, flared peristome. I understand they are fussy to begin with, and without some major effort, I cannot give it the temps it needs.

So, is there one nep you covet that's off limits?

Northiana for me, its a bit picky, and i can't achive lowlandtemps easily.

Also, N. Edwardsiana beacuse of its rarity n cultivation. Can't think of anymore at the moment

Northiana was an extremely slow grower for me.Some people say it likes less light to grow big but I've seen pics of it growing exposed on rocky outcrops so I assume it liked good light and gave it that. Other lowlanders grew like gangbusters but northiana just plodded along.

Edwardsiana and klossii are the ones I would really like to see made available.

I can't grow these species because lowlanders do not do well for me:
gracilis, ampulliaria, bicalcarata, northiana, bellii, etc.

I can't grow these because they aren't really available:
edwardsiana, klosii, etc.

List does go on, unfortunately. :(

Edwardsiana, Villosa, and Macrophylla. I am not sure if I could grow an Edswardiana with my current conditions due to lack of info, but I know I couldn't grow a villosa since it is a ultra-highlander. I am working on that though... :)

Oh and also, N. Sabre as well as about 10 or so hybrids I cannot justify spending the money for.

Nepenthes Hamata.

Seriously, everytime I see that plant for sale, it's more than $200. Heck, I've seen them up to $600 on ebay.

Just one? Ummmm.

I can't decide. LOL.

No one else is going to mention Nepenthes hurrelliana? I can't find this plant for sale... anywhere. From it's supposed ancestry (Fusca x veitchii) it shouldn't be that hard to grow. And from what I understand it's doing just fine in the wild. Someone needs to go get some seeds and get it started in propagation!

I'd like to get my hands on some of those EP hybrids that aren't available anymore, like predator, lowii x truncata, etc. But the beauty is they just keep coming out with more!

No one else is going to mention Nepenthes hurrelliana? I can't find this plant for sale... anywhere. From it's supposed ancestry (Fusca x veitchii) it shouldn't be that hard to grow. And from what I understand it's doing just fine in the wild. Someone needs to go get some seeds and get it started in propagation!

right on! i think BE or wistuba had clones being prepared and that will be ready soon. thats the plant i want too.

Alex

Jsut one!?!? I might do more than that. Probably N. argentii, edwarsiana, northiana, and truncata 'black'. Most of those i don't have a setup for, or I think a multi-$$$ plant would make me a little nervous growing it!:)

Back