What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One of the most unique pitchers I've seen

Apparently it's a Nepenthes Ephippiata, but I've never seen an Ephippiata that looks like this. Is this a special variety or something?

Nepenthes_ephippiata_Copyright_R_Simek.jpg

just looks like a really outstanding clone

Looks like a pitcher that's an intermediate between the lowers and the uppers. It'd be interesting to see if this morphology is retained on all the pitchers, but I doubt it will be.

Man, I can't wait until mine gets bristles. That is the whole reason I got one.

I wish I could help; but I know nothing about this. I just think it looks nice!

Wow, that's one dark ephippiata clone... astounding plant, I like the bristles quite a bit.

Looks like a pitcher that's an intermediate between the lowers and the uppers. It'd be interesting to see if this morphology is retained on all the pitchers, but I doubt it will be.

Ephippiata uppers are much like lowii, but not as constricted and with a thicker (but still quite thin) peristome.

And ephippiata uppers have much larger lids than Lowii uppers.

anyone have any luck in growing them under intermediate conditions? looking forward to see what mine will put out... and when...

Yes, they will grow fine in intermediate conditions. They just take awhile to settle in (at least for me).

Veronis, where did you find the first picture?!?

AFIK there is only 2 clones in cultivation, dont hold me to this cause im not sure
i know BE offers a single clone(which originated in germany, im assuming kew or AW), and AW offers 2....
The coloration can be brought on from its lighting, conditions, soil, feeding, etc....a number of things control that...it is quite the gorgeous plant though.

Back