What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Out This Bad Boy

cant really tell. but its either marcophylla or a hybrid with macrophylla and/or edwardsiana and/or villosa. nice pic!

Alex

That's a real gem! I'd guess an edwardsiana/macrophylla hybrid..?

Hybrid? What gives it away as a hybrid? I thought it looked like an edwardsiana : /

Edit: ok, maybe the squatter pitcher and tooth curvature?

Nice. Looks like x harryana (edwardsiana x villosa).

that is actually a macrophylla.
Ive seen it posted a few times, its a great plant.
there is the debate now that macrophylla is the end result of some edwardsiana or villosa hybrid explosion...

that is actually a macrophylla.
Ive seen it posted a few times, its a great plant.
there is the debate now that macrophylla is the end result of some edwardsiana or villosa hybrid explosion...

DING*DING*DING.. . . We have a WINNER! :boogie:

SirKristoff is correct. It is a N. macrophylla in that pic (according to the source of the pic).

Good Growing

E :banana2:

that plant is intense

:drool: I would just love a cutting...... That plant there is number one of my top 5 wish list.

i saw a macrophylla on ebay and it went for well over 200 dollars.

I'm getting a macro sometime next year!

...if only AW actually sold the real plant AFAIK.

I was talking to Andreas earlier in the summer and he told me that of the two macrophylla clones he offers, one of them is the real deal.

dvg i have not seen "the real deal" come out of Wistuba....ever.
ive seen a couple from BE that fit the description more.

dvg i have not seen "the real deal" come out of Wistuba....ever.
ive seen a couple from BE that fit the description more.

I have seen actual N. macrophylla from Wistuba in the past; and I have yet to hear anything about his doubts about the ID of one of his clones. Also, I was told under good authority that the Borneo Exotics plants came from Wistuba in the first place . . .

Also, I was told under good authority that the Borneo Exotics plants came from Wistuba in the first place . . .

I've read that somewhere too.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

I was talking to Andreas earlier in the summer and he told me that of the two macrophylla clones he offers, one of them is the real deal.

Hiya DVG-

Could you tell us more about this conversation that you had with Mr. Wistuba regarding his N.mac clones?

Also, did you ask him how we are able to discern which of his clones is the "real deal"?

Thanks,
E

isnt one of the clones supposed to N. trusmadiensis?

Alex

isnt one of the clones supposed to N. trusmadiensis?

Alex

As far as I know, Nepenthes x trusmadiensis is still not that widely available, is distinctly different in appearance (even while young), and may be even harder to come by than N. macrophylla . . .

Entwadumela,

I asked Andreas if he had an actual N. macrophylla, because there was some question as to whether his clones were mixed with lowii. He told me that he was almost certain that his clone'T' was true, as it had been verified as true by another German taxonomist. He didn't concede that his clone 'S' wasn't true, but he also didn't confirm this one as being true either. I have both of those clones, as well as a BE macrophylla. His clone 'T' looks identical to my BE macrophylla. The AW clone 'S' macrophylla has pointed, narrower leaves with a different colored and shaped pitcher. It also grows much faster than his clone'T'. That's about all I know on the subject.

dvg, it would be great if you had the chance to post photos of your various clones, comparing leaf shape, etc. Among seed-grown plants, there is a good amount of variability, even while young . . .

if the S clone isnt pure macro it isnt TM either but likely something like mac x (mac x lowii) or possibly even less lowii than that.....if it isnt pure than it has far more mac in its genes than the 50% of TM

Back