What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought a 'Miranda' at LOWES pics

I bought a 'Miranda at LOWES last night. It's huge.
I may pick up some more if anyone is interested in some divisions for trade. PM me if interested.

PICS
There is a quarter on the leaf for size comparison.
Miranda2.jpg

Largest leaf is 19" :0o:

Miranda1.jpg

Peace,
Zero

wow, very nice. I bought one like that from a pond store beofer, but I kinda killed it while trying to divide it... :( Very nice plant, hope it grows well for you.

Thats a Nice looking Miranda ..... Did you already treat it obviously..... if not Wow Thats some nice glossy leaves

daren

Very nice size, do you have any pics of the pitchers? I'm curious to see how large they get in comparison with huge leaves like that. Great find!

Wow! I didn't think you could find them that big at a store like Lowes! I think I'll call my local Lowes to see if they have any that size. :)

How much did this set you back, if I might ask?

CN, I haven't treated it with anything but some water.
F R e N c H 3 z, There were no pitchers on the plant. It is a little beat up and it's a bad time of year for pitchers in Maine.
Tamer, It was $34 but I got the price down because they had lost there pitchers and a couple of leaves were ripped:)

Very interested. PM'd!

My N. ventrata is growing just like that, with many, many side shoots, and even branches, and the vines are getting unruly.

It was $34? I read in another thread they cost like $10 at lowes.

sss, I don't think you can get a nep this large for $10 anywhere.
I bought my 'Ventrata' for $25 @ Home Depot as a large size a few years ago.
The upside to getting a xxl nep is that it will produce basals and vines quickly.
I can't believe how root bound this nep is, it is just like a root bound houseplant!

I think I recognize that sink!! Are you the person with the huge N. Sanguinea that hangs over that sink?

Yeah, I have a large sanguinea that I take pics of and water over the sink.
It has 3 vines up to the ceiling right now.
Anyone who doesn't have a sanguinea orange should get one from Andy, it grows very fast
sanguinea orange old pic, I bought this as a 6" plant and it turned into this.
sangorange1.jpg

sangorange2.jpg

SANGORANGE-1.jpg

sangorfront.jpg

sangorange3.jpg

Peace,
Zero

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Old 'Miranda' pics from a rooted cutting I got 3 years ago.
MIRANDA-1.jpg

MIRANDA2-2.jpg

Miranda1.jpg

Miranda2-1.jpg

Zero,
Was the miranda bought at the Lowes in Biddeford? I saw them there over the summer for $35.00 or something around that. Nice big plant though. I bought one at a Lowes in MA, and clipped off the dead leaves, changed the media, repotted, checked for pests, etc. Just curious if the pitchers browned up on you a week or so after being brought home?

sss, I don't think you can get a nep this large for $10 anywhere.
I bought my 'Ventrata' for $25 @ Home Depot as a large size a few years ago.
The upside to getting a xxl nep is that it will produce basals and vines quickly.
I can't believe how root bound this nep is, it is just like a root bound houseplant!

Ohh well that's just what I read somewhere else. They said they got a 10" pot for $10.

I can't wait till I get mine, the lowes near me is getting them sometime around mid december to early january. I see these really nice pictures and I get soo excited.

Ohh wow, I just saw your sanguinea. Mine is only in a 4 inch pot biggest pitcher is 6 cm. That one is HUGE :0o:

sss,
My sanguinea started as a 6" plant and proceeded to turn into a monster:)

Zero what are you using as a stake for the sang? Ive been using 3' dowels but need something taller.

Zero what are you using as a stake for the sang? Ive been using 3' dowels but need something taller.

Hiya Nightsky-

You might want to check out the gardening section of one of them big box hardware stores and see if they have any long bamboo stakes. I've seen them before, but can't remember the name of it.

Or would a long skinny PVC pipe work well too? Just cut to size, cut a 45 degree point on one end and drive the sucker into the ground, pot, soil, a vampire, etc.

Good Luck,
E

Hiya Nightsky-

You might want to check out the gardening section of one of them big box hardware stores and see if they have any long bamboo stakes. I've seen them before, but can't remember the name of it.

Or would a long skinny PVC pipe work well too? Just cut to size, cut a 45 degree point on one end and drive the sucker into the ground, pot, soil, a vampire, etc.

Good Luck,
E

Vampire hatred is not cool, unless you're into Slayer. (Baaaaaaad pun)
If there is ceiling close above the plant in question, as winter is on it's way, you can take a piece of twine or string attached to a nail from the ceiling to extend the stake.

Nice! I got one just as big, but not as full for $8 at the commissary. Its soil was bone dry and it was all wilty, they wanted $25 but I talked them down. It had 12 growth points on 2 plants. I have it growing at my mom's house on her kitchen sink with a 26 watt CF bulb in a reflector about 8 inches from it. It now has new leaves and a basal shoot! Seems to be doing pretty well, but I'm out of state for school now so I bbrought 2 cuttings with me as the mother plant would be to large for my dorm. I can't wait to see the mother plant in the spring! And I'll set it outside in may.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Here's the plant a day after I bought it and watered:
20942_106269659390251_100000216534361_161183_1322394_n.jpg
it.
The cuttings:
20942_106269656056918_100000216534361_161182_1381823_n.jpg

The main plant a couple weeks later:
20942_106269652723585_100000216534361_161181_5930811_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Zero, it seems your conditions for your sanguinea are similar to mine, do you find that's sufficient for the winter?
I'm having my mom take care of the plant while I'm gone, 16hr photoperiod, watering once a week or so, and misting 2-3 times a day.

haha wow... that thing hardly even looks carnivorous.

Back