What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different Flavors of N.hams?

Hiya All-

Are there different forms of N. hamatas?

I've seen the normal (non pubscent), hairy (the pubscent years), red leafed and the red form.

Are there anymore that I'm not seeing?

I guess there variety in appearance comes down to parentage, and growing conditions.

Good Growing,
E

the red pitcher form i believe your refering to is the hairy hamata, just with less hair...there was a big issue with the hairy hamatas and people believing they werent the real deal because chi'en photoed one of the best looking in the location
the red leafed form are the seedgrown plants from BE that were released last year and part of this year, and the red in the leaves goes away as the plant gets older, the pitchers supposedly look a bit different. So there are really only 2 forms, hairy and typical.

Hey SK-

Thanks for clarifying things up for me.

Boy, when you find out you like one species, you discover they come in diffirent varieties, then there goes your bank account, your growing space, your . . .

Good Growing,
E

5277783.gif

Mmm... flavors of ham...
I think there are a number of different forms of pitcher coloration, too. I've heard of at least three or four different localities, if you're plants with location data.
~Joe

I have had various seed-grown N. hamata over the years and there was always a variety of color, hirsuteness, and pitcher shape; but the lion's share of those features were more closely associated with juvenile characteristics. As the plants matured, they became far more close in appearance . . .

Back