What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not the N. mac "Daddy"

To those who had questions regarding the shape of this plants leaf, here is a pic of its newest leaf:

dsc01449zt.jpg

I agree what Tony had said, that this plant is a recent aquirement and it needs time to adjust to my conditions before it truly reveals itself. I will update you folks when it has gone through another pitcher or two, but in the mean time, hypothetical guesses are welcome.

By the way Tony, the link you gave on reply #16 doesn't seem to work (for me at least).

Also, any chance you have an N. mac available?

Good Growing,
E

ps. I really appreciate you all for responding to my post :hail:

pss. That leaf came in with that slice.

Point of clarification, Wistuba actually knows which clone is trusmadiensis and which is macrophylla because he sells them labeled specifically as such...

he said the plant was bought from wistuba several years ago. how long ago was it that the plants true identity came out?

Alex

Looks pretty hybridish to me, I could definitely believe that there would be some macro in it's lineage. A very pretty plant, though, nonetheless, I just hope for your sake it didn't come with a macro price tag.

I'm leaning to the TM side also. Perhaps TM x lowii?

I have a wistuba Mac, and was a bit wary of ordering out of fear it would be the dubious mac x tm possibility. Good to hear he sorted them out, I didn't realize he had. Mine is so small it will be a while till I'll see any mac characteristics.

Looks pretty hybridish to me, I could definitely believe that there would be some macro in it's lineage. A very pretty plant, though, nonetheless, I just hope for your sake it didn't come with a macro price tag.

Kinda did.

If turns out to be lowii :censor:

If it turns out to be trusmadiensis :glare:

All I wanted was a nice N. mac :headwall:

:cry:
E

Well I can say for the last 4 years he has had them labeled separately. So... 3-4 years ago what was shipped to the originator ought to have been properly labeled.

I am not 100% but I think Rattler may have one... I know he has the one that ships as macro now...

had it, no longer have it....please keep in mind anything after this in no way is critical of Wistubas plants, i have no issues ordering him....i am EXTREAMLY rough on plants and the TM in question was not ordered directly from Andreas, but originated from his stock...the TM was a lil on the small side and after a couple months crapped out on me, the macro however never skipped a beat and is doing great....here are some pics:

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Hiya Rattler-

Thanks for taking the time in chiming in.

That N. mac is a beaut and sorry to hear about your TM.

Now that N. mac was what I was hoping for, not this possibly N. lowii or trus or some crazy unknown hybrid plant (alright, trus ummm ok, lowii bad).

E

ill get some new shots tomorrow hopefully(looked at the pm before i saw the thread) couldnt tell yah on yours though it looks interesting......not quite like full lowii's ive seen, though granted i havent seen many.....wonder if there wasnt some labeling screw up some time back and its lowii x TM or the reverse.....

Hey All-

With the permission of another CP'er from another board, here is a pic of his newly acquired N. TM:

s1585y.jpg

The owner says its a BE TM clone 2

Well, in my opinion, the leaf shape and pitchers resemble N. ephippiata more to me than N. lowii...

Well, in my opinion, the leaf shape and pitchers resemble N. ephippiata more to me than N. lowii...

You may have something there, Capensis.

But like the lowii, gots to wait to see if there any hair under that chiny-chin-chin (yeah I know, the lid) :-D

E

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I thought I had lost these but here are two pics of plant in question prior to purchasing:

!BbdNb5g!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiIEq5ClsvdlBKwH1Nw4+Q~~_12.JPG

!BbdNnL!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKkQEq5INNCGBBKwH2h!kdw~~_12.JPG

Hopefully these two pics will give more aid to the IDing of this plant.

E

A grower from another board found this little tid-bit of information from Mr. Catalani's Nep U website:

"It is reported that some of the plants in cultivation may be a hybrid (N. x Tusmadiensis (N. macrophylla x N. lowii)) since there have been reports of hairs on the underside of the lids. This is possible if seed was collected, since N. x trusmadiensis is a naturally occurring hybrid. It was once reported that N. x trusmadiensis was somewhat abundant on Mt. Trusmadi, but later reports stated that it is very rare, and that all plants may be connected to the main mother plant. It could be that seed was collected from a macrophylla plant, in which some of the flowers of the racemae was fertilized with pollen from N. lowii. Whereas my plant was fairly fast growing, plants which are in question of being a hybrid are reported to grow rather slowly (a trait of lowii.) I have noticed that the pitchers of one of the plants in question matches closely that of N. trusmadiensis, and is much more red in coloration than my macrophylla plant, which had yellow orange pitchers and no hairs under the lid. (It has now been confirmed that some plants which were bought as macrophylla were in fact xTrusmadiensis. They are both in cultivation now in decent numbers.)"

A little update from Mr. Catalani.

I sent him those last two pics and this is his reply:

"That looks like a xTrusmadiensis. Besides the pitcher, the leaves have a "V" shape to them that it gets from lowii. "

E

he said the plant was bought from wistuba several years ago. how long ago was it that the plants true identity came out?

Check Tony's post following mine and then my second post. But in a nutshell, it ought to have been correctly tagged at the time it was sent.

had it, no longer have it....please keep in mind anything after this in no way is critical of Wistubas plants, i have no issues ordering him....i am EXTREAMLY rough on plants and the TM in question was not ordered directly from Andreas, but originated from his stock...the TM was a lil on the small side and after a couple months crapped out on me, the macro however never skipped a beat and is doing great....

Thanks Rattler, I thought I remembered you lost one but I could not recall which it was.

You may have something there, Capensis.

But like the lowii, gots to wait to see if there any hair under that chiny-chin-chin (yeah I know, the lid) :-D

I thought I had lost these but here are two pics of plant in question prior to purchasing:

Hopefully these two pics will give more aid to the IDing of this plant.

E

Looking at your plant I, like Tony, am kind of inclined to think it is lowii. IIRC Wistuba has a "combo" pack he does of lowii and macro... Maybe there was a tag mix up in a shipment or after the shipment??...

"Looking at your plant I, like Tony, am kind of inclined to think it is lowii. IIRC Wistuba has a "combo" pack he does of lowii and macro... Maybe there was a tag mix up in a shipment or after the shipment??... "

So, some person out there is going, "Dang. My lowii got some funny teeth?"

E

wouldnt be the first time there was a label screw up, wont be the last.....

Hiya Rattler-

What adds more salt to my festering, fly circling, smelly wound is that he sent me pics before I purchased it. So even if it was mislabled, I wish I knew what to look for in a juvie N. mac. Obviously, I didn't :headwall:

E

yah live and yah learn....stuff happens.....least yah got a good start on a nice lowii.....mine are tiny at the moment :D

i still think its an xTM....my lowii, when i got it at first was about 3" in diameter, and even then had a couple of tiny little hairs under the lid.

There is a good chance it is some sort of N. trusmadiensis. It is a little unusual for N. lowii to not show some hairs under the lid at a decent size like that. My main reason for suggesting not ruling it out yet is because the pitcher didnt' look properly developed particularly in the lid. I think with the next pitcher or two it will should be much clearer and in short order can probably determine if it is or isn't N. lowii. What I find odd is it doesn't look like any N. trusmadiensis I have ever seen come from the supplier in question.. It doesn't look like the plant Rattler has to me, although the size difference might? be causing that. (thanks for the photo Rattler!)

Pyro do you know if he has ever released some seed grown plants? Like if he had extra in the lab and just potted them up instead of keeping dozens of different clones? I know Malesiana did that in the past when they would initially release a new item.

I have to agree....this plant looks definitely like a primary lowii hybrid...maybe a lowii x macrophylla ? I know that the BE x TM is a macrophylla x lowii. Perhaps this one being the reverse is showing more lowii style phenotypes.

Back