What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not the N. mac "Daddy"

There is a good chance it is some sort of N. trusmadiensis. It is a little unusual for N. lowii to not show some hairs under the lid at a decent size like that. My main reason for suggesting not ruling it out yet is because the pitcher didnt' look properly developed particularly in the lid.

I have seen a few lowii (from Wistuba and BE) that have been this size and no/minimal hairs. Heck I was growing a BE clone that only 1 in 5 pitchers ever made hairs. It was always a picture worthy event for me when it did make hairs LOL.

Pyro do you know if he has ever released some seed grown plants? Like if he had extra in the lab and just potted them up instead of keeping dozens of different clones? I know Malesiana did that in the past when they would initially release a new item.

Best I know he did not. I believe the situation was as described earlier where a batch of TC propagated macrophylla material was turning out "odd" looking as people were growing them out.

I have all three of the plants in question, though the N. lowii hasn't produced this season's pitchers just yet; but I have taken photos of all of the foliage and the pitchers where available. I am inclined to think that the suspect plant is N. x trusmadiensis after all, judging from my own plant . . .

Nepenthes x trusmadiensis (TC-- BE Clone 1)
NTRUS.jpg

NTRUSPITCHER.jpg

Nepenthes macrophylla (seed-grown)
NMACRO2-1.jpg

Nepenthes lowii (TC)

NLOWII2.jpg

Hiya BigB-

Thanks for sharing the pics of your plants :hail:

Is that the N x TM from Michael, Sweet :-O

If I had to choose which one of those plants is closes to mine as far as looks, it would be door number 1 :banana2:

Again, thanks to all who contriubuted to this topic :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Good Growing to you allz :-D

E

Straight from the horse's mouth:

this is strange indeed.

I certainly have not sold a plant labelled N. macrophylla in many years that would turn out like this.

The only plants of the clone that turned out to be N. x trusmadiensis that I sold as N. macrophylla, as far as I remember were sold long ago, not just 3 or 4 years.

This is a bit of a mystery to me, but my N. macrophylla clones, certainly do not look like this when older.

All the best

Andreas

Hiya Pyro-

Thanks for bringing this topic to Mr. Wistubas (aka "horse's mouth" . . . he, he, he) attention :hail:

Too bad he didn't take a hypothetical guess as to its ID :-(

Good Growing To Ya,
E

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

With the permission from another grower on another board, here are pics of his two N x tm clones from BE:

"Your plant looks like a dead ringer for a N. trusmadiensis. The difference in the leaves between the two plants is nothing to worry about."

P9130192.jpg

"Note that some of the leaves are rounded and some are more lance shaped. I recently changed my lighting setup so I think it's a response to light levels. This is BE's clone 2. It has beautiful pitchers too."

P9130184.jpg

"The pitchers on BE's clone one look very different and more like yours from Wistuba"

P9130188.jpg

E

But should it be labeled x TM or remain unknown for confusion's sake? I believe it's x TM, but you never know.

This a pic I took of a lowii lower at a friend's place a few years back. This is from a very mature plant, the pitcher was about 20cm or so. Note the very minimal number of hairs under the lid.

P7120010.jpg

First we got a "hairy" full moon werewolf hamata, now this, a lowii that need to be in the "Mens Hair Club" :-))

Thanks Pyro :-D

E

Lol David, that lowii looks familiar. Hope it does well for you man. your macros look amazing.
here is my seedgrown N. macrophylla. finally producing a pitcher again from the looks of it.
DSC05046.jpg

Back