What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hamata: Some Seed-grown Variations . . .

There has been some recent discussion about morphological variability -- even within species -- and the occasional difficulty with identification. While that is certainly not the case here, I have photos of two pots of the very same seed-grown batch of Nepenthes hamata -- grown under identical conditions, side by side; regardless of the amount of light afforded it, that second pot will not color-up any further than that, and remains, for the most part, a lightly-mottled lime green -- but with a more pronounced, larger peristome. That first plant produced two basals within eighteen to twenty months of germination and is far more vigorous . . .

Nepenthes hamata (seed-grown)
NHAMATA-A.jpg

NHAMATA-B.jpg

HOLY MOLY. Every time you post pics its amazing. As incredible as it gets.

You always have the best of plants. That seed supplier must be great.

wow !! Just wow!!! amazing!!

:clap: Magnificent! How long have you had these for?

Thanks all . . .

They're from late 2006-07 (some frighteningly took a few months to germinate). I have another somewhat larger plant but it most closely resembles that heavier-pigmented N. hamata. The real secret with these suckers seems to be keeping them cool at night; and it almost always falls into the low fifties and lower in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Fog City . . .

Thanks all . . .

They're from late 2006-07 (some frighteningly took a few months to germinate). I have another somewhat larger plant but it most closely resembles that heavier-pigmented N. hamata. The real secret with these suckers seems to be keeping them cool at night; and it almost always falls into the low fifties and lower in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Fog City . . .

Highlander heaven!

If only I could move just a couple miles North. You San Franciscans hog all the fog!

If only I could move just a couple miles North. You San Franciscans hog all the fog!

Mmm, that they do.

Those hamata siblings look pretty sharp!

Aren't you near Alviso? I seem to recall fog there -- from time to time . . .

cool hamatas! I think I like the seedgrown one better, very cool.

Oh,once in a loooong while,yes. But the fog that usually shrouds the North Bay just stays up above as low clouds. Useless for a Nep.

I do recall driving through SF one time and looking in the right window at the right moment. I saw Neps! I don't remember which road I was on, I wasn't the one driving. Whoever it is, they are danged lucky, with that big, West-ish facing window. I love those houses there with the porch on the roof-total security!

Back