What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes miranda

Hi I own a n.miranda and it's not clear how to take care of it. I did some reasearch and I would like you to correct me if needed .

It's placed under 1 t5 tube. The ambient humidity is 65-70%. The temperature is constantly of 24 (75F) degrees. I have a fan set on moving cycle. I will water it when substrate wont stick to my finger. How many crickets or koi pellets can i give to my plant per month.

I thought the soil was damp but he wasn't and some urns started to dry is it too late and i will lose all my urns or if I add reversed osmosis water I could save my plant.

Now it sits in pure peat moss should I repot it?

If I add a little bit of fertilizer to the pure water, it's ok or not?

Welcome to TF!

1 T5 lamp won't be nearly enough for very long. N. Miranda is a very large growing hybrid. I grew mine under a 400W metal halide lamp. Humidity 75-90% temps 85-100*F days and 70*F + at night. Keep these warm lowland conditions year round and the plant will grow into a real monster with nearly 2 liter soda bottle sized pitchers.

I would place the plant in Long Fibered Spahgnum moss (sold as "Orchid Moss" at places like Lowes) with some sort of chunky drainage material like orchid bark or shredded cypress mulch.

You can fill the empty pitchers about 1/4 full and that will help rehydrate the plant. If all the current pitchers die the plant will still live, it will just grow new pitchers on the new leaves if your growing conditions are good enough (they won't regrow on the old). Don't put any water in the new pitchers that develop, the pitcher's fluid level is maintained by the plant so long as it is not allowed to dehydrate or get dumped over.

I would not worry about feeding the pitchers that are on the plant when you received it. I would wait and feed the next ones which develop and open in your care. When you do just feed one cricket small enough that it will be covered by the natural juices in the pitchers, if the cricket is too large it can attract fungus. Once you have giant pitchers you don't have to worry sometimes I'd put in 3 or 4 crickets in each big pitcher every couple weeks but that's on a very large actively growing plant. That much food in a small plant would certainly overload it.

Have fun!

miranda

welcome

My miranda does great at 45 to 50 percent humidity and in a south window no special needs just reg house temps had for two years and its producing fairly large pitchers now .
thought i would take swords advise he is a much more seasoned grower than i. i may even may make some slight changes to see if i can get even larger pitchers.

Thank you very much.

Is it okay to just use reversed osmosis water without adding mild fertilizer (cactus)?

I would use plain R/O water for now. Once the plant is growing well you may begin to fertilize it very lightly (1/4 strength Urea Free water soluble fertilizer if possible into the soil not into the pitchers) but I would wait on any fertilizing until it is established in your conditions. Next summer or so at the earliest if you live where it is going to be winter soon.

Back