What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

its back

had some issues bout 3 years ago and managed to loose some plants i really liked......after two years of looking someone i traded a cutting of the female veitchii highland striped to had a spare and i was able to get this plant back into my collection......

newly opened pitcher
IMG_0896-1.jpg

eventually it will look like this
427veitchii.jpg

gorgeous plant rattler :) so its a female then eh?
if it flowers and my spectabilis is up and running like it almost always is, ill send you some of the pollen....
veitchii HL striped x spectabilis
*drool* lol

yep its a female.......got the original as a 3 foot chunk of vine trimmed off a display plant at an orchid greenhouse in Minnesota......saw the dead flowers on the massive plant and had to have it......took me bugging the owner for an hour, buying $125 in orchids AND dishing out $75 for just the cutting to get it(my wife wasnt impressed) it flowered once in my care while rooting but in the stress of adjusting to my conditions and rooting it aborted which sucked as i had located some hamata pollen...

swords can confirm on how large the mother plant was/is he has seen it in person aswell.....gonna be awhile till it flowers....my entire current basal is smaller than the pitcher from my original plant that i posted...

lol rattler, its a great looking plant man, congrats. ive got a small veitchii 'batu lawi' which is coming along amazingly well....it went from about an inch to about 4" in the last 6 or 7 months.....excited to see how this one will turn out, a definite favorite of mine.

Man, congrats on finding it again.

Wow look at that color, amazing. Good job man!

great plant, post pics when it looks like that other one there.

Nice. :) Can't wait to see how it grows up.

Beautiful rattler.

xvart.

There's that big N. veitchii! I had wondered how it had ever fared after you got a cutting off them. Getting him to cut up a display plant - must have been some line you used! lol

Some of you have heard me mention an orchid shop which has big Neps on display this cutting is from there. The N. veitchii display climbs a support post of the greenhouse, wrapping it's leaves around like it would a tree trunk. Next time I go I'll bring my camera and sneak some pics.

I've been thinking of heading up to the shop to get a big bale of LFS for my new WIP viv but I have to make sure I have the new viv ready to go because I always come home with some plants.

i think the line used was "I live 12 hours away and cant come in and cuss you out if it fails" which i guess has been an issue in the past cause thats the reasoning he gave....next time i hit the area ill have a pocket full of cash and try it again :D

congratulations man!! That is a beautiful veitchii. I myself want a nice small highland veitchii.

Awesome plant. I rather enjoy the background story very much.

I feel like I was suckered into this CP thing as I first found 5 ventrata cuttings for $.25 each and actually had a pitcher so that my newbie self figured out what they were!

$0.25 each,. almost the polar opposite of the orchid shop...

Only $175 worth of orchids Rattler? You only could afford one recently deflasked seedling then? :-))

$0.25 each,. almost the polar opposite of the orchid shop...

Only $175 worth of orchids Rattler? You only could afford one recently deflasked seedling then? :-))

not quite but close :D hell there are worse ways to kill an hour than walking around his place....the prices are high but given i live in the middle of nowhere im willing to pay a bit for the chance to hand pick a seedling or the like now and then......

His shop is the best thing going around here too. I stay away cos I know I'll spend money if I drive over there, ya can't help it!

I went to an orchid place way out in Independence, MN which is a huge 2 greenhouse setup but mainly they had boring stuff like a bunch of Phals and Dendros but the few obscure plants they did have (mostly Draculas and Masd. but also other weird Pleurothallids) were really cheap, only $5-15 based on pot size and these are often quite pricey "minis".

The only problem was the guy who bought the place from the original owner, bought it all at once during a divorce auction. And the previous owner didn't keep tags on a lot of his personal stuff (now for sale) so unless it's in bloom almost all Pleurothallids look alike! :(

I haven't been out there for a few years, so perhaps everything has bloomed and is labeled by now...

the stripes filling out
IMG_0906-1.jpg

any other updates on this beauty?

Back