What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. villosa...A Year in the Life

i heard macs are less fussier than villosa. wish me luck, im hoping to obtain one within this month or next month! hope it turns out awesome like this one!

It obviously loves your conditions. Great job growing what I've read is one of the more difficult neps. I love the latest pitcher. She's a beaut.

Thanks guys,

Thez yo, I still do have these two Neps growing together in the same 5 gallon terrarium. It is uncovered during the day, but at night I spray down the plants, place a dome over the terra and move it to the coolest room in the house. I'll even throw in an ice pack or few if need be to beat the summer heat.

Now as far as the macrophylla versus villosa goes, my villosa is actually outperforming and growing faster than the macro. This might be because my night time temps are getting down to 3C, which no doubt is more in line with the villosa's liking, than the macrophylla's. But the macro is still growing steadily, albeit slowly.

dvg

doug, the fact that you said you used a low tech means to get your villosa to this stage makes me smile--because i'll be doing pretty much the same thing!

Amphirion, if you're going to be receiving a smaller sized villosa, people have been known to place their potted up villosa into a large zip-lock bag, lightly mist the inside of the bag for some humidity, and place the bagged plant into the fridge overnight.

Most fridges get down to about 4C, and that is what this plant seems to thrive on.

Just some food for thought.

Good luck with your new acquisition.

very nice plant! love the fact that the tendrils get super long all over the place, and congrats on the basal!
mine hasnt crapped out on me yet. lucky me, mine came with a basal! unfortunately, the entire plant is smaller than the size of a US dime!

Beautiful as always!

So are you throwing this into a fridge every night? It looks great. Villosas are among the best looking pitchers imo. Wish I could grow one.

Thanks for the comments,

Nightsky, I just move my villosa to a cooler place in the basement each night. In summer to bring the temps down further, I place frozen gel packs around the tank. Winter isn't much of a problem though, because the temps are consistently between 3C and 7C between October and April.

dvg

Back