What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. villosa...A Year in the Life

wow! Grew a lot in one year! Cograts it looks great!

Great growing job their DVG :boogie:

I'm wondering if the BE clone will grow at the same ratio as your first one.

May I ask, what is your growing conditions, such as lighting, temp, humidity, growing medium, bank account number, etc :-D

By the way, "I wish you luck" and "May the Force Be With You".

E

Wow! It guess it's not as slow as everyone says.

That is an amazing transgression, really a beautiful plant. I've never thought of getting a villosa simply because of how slow the have been said to grow. This post inspires to me get one.

for the record it is commonly said that villosa gets real touchy bout wanting the night time drop to cool temps once it gets older......i have yet to grow it so i cant comment but i might not rush into it if yah dont have the decent drop into cool temps....

dvg great looking plant, this species is high on my list once i get my chamber built....

Very nice indeed . . .

How warm are you keeping the N. villosa during the day?

Thanks for the kind words,

As for the growing conditions,

T5 5000k lighting
19C daytime temps
4-7C night temps
I don't have a device to measure humidity, but it is dry here on the prairies and especially so with winter now here
The media is roughly half organic to half mineral with a topdressing of lfs to keep the humidity up around the plant

Very nice, indeed. I've tried clones from Wistuba and BE. The BE clone has been a good grower in my conditions, while I killed the Wistuba plant. Of course, two plants don't indicate any merits of one over the other. Would like to try the CZ plant...

The only reason I've never been crazy on getting one is because of how much they have costed in the past. They are finally coming down a bit. I'd have to build the right set up and invest in some lighting and maybe a heater, but I live in Alaska, so night time temps will be no problem.

Dexenthes, that's kinda funny that you would need a heater for highlanders, especially for villosa, when most people are having cooling issues with the plant. But with you living in Alaska, you should definitely give this plant a go, whenever you get a chance to. You should have no problem providing the necessary cooling. We live in hardiness zone 3, and i have been able to cool mine down sufficiently at night for some decent growth over the last year or so. Good luck with your (hopefully soon) future villosa.

Oh my god that is GORGEOUS! Wow! Doug's done it again... The pitcher is very nice, the teeth look even more pronounced.

Man that is one awesome Villosa. I wish I had the proper conditions for a Villosa. Looking forward to even more pics of those awesome plant of yours.

You feeding it wingless fruit flies? or the pitcher happen to alure them? nice villosa indeed. I need to get another villosa again hmmmm

:0o: WOW. I'm gonna get one of these... some day. haha. That's one heck of a fantastic plant Dvg!!

Thanks guys,

Indigo, those are indeed wingless fruit flies. I culture several varieties of flightless and wingless D. melanogaster and D. hydei.

The D. hydei have wings, but they are genetically paralyzed and can not fly.

I make several cultures of them every couple of weeks and sprinkle them out of the containers onto my CP's.

The Neps usually get misted or sprayed down first, because insects have a difficult time getting any kind of traction on a wet peristome, which you all know are very slippery when wet.

The fruit flies' tendency is to climb to the highest point, and they usually end up in the pitchers, after failing to successfully negotiate the peristome.

And the plants luv 'em.

Fantastic as always Doug. A marvelous type specimen. That one's going to be a beast some day.

Wow that plant looks amazing! Villosa is one of those plants that I dare not try... I hear it's way picky - how does it compare in ease/difficulty with macrophylla? I see you have the two growing side by side.

Back