What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

growing n.gymnaphora

uphwiz

jimmy
Gymnaphora
Any one have any advise on growing this tough nep. ive had mine for about a year and a half now, just continues growing like a vine, and not producing any pitchers or none to speak of , they start forming but never develop . does it need much cooler temps. than other highland neps. any advise will be useful Thank You Guys

I'm still a n00b, but I don't think it's the temps. From what I heard, this species can sometimes be grown as an intermediate.

yea thats the way ive been trying, going to try my highland terrarium now one more year then to the compost pile if no pitchers. Though it does make a kinda pretty vine

well if its vining, you cant expect it to produce pitchers, gymnamphora very rarely produces uppers.
but its like ampullaria in that it should produce a ton of basals for you at this point. ive got a smaller plant, but it grows just fine in highland conditions under my lights right now.
the soil mix i use is either peat/perlite/orchid bark/lfs or lfs/peat/perlite/orchid bark/osmunda fiber/horticultural sand.
Give it some good humidity and light and you should be golden.

never heard the vining no pitchers thanks , is that true in most nep. culture, and would you repot , its in the same media since ive had it, got plenty live sphagnum and a pre mix nep mix from a reputable grower dont have and hort sand . what kind of sand , and can i find it at say Lowes, or a local store of that nature

ive never seen horticultural sand at lowes, ive had to get my stuff online.
what do you mean is that true in most nep culture? upper pitcher? no, gymnamphora is just a species that doesnt produce uppers often, not much unlike N. ampullaria.....if you would like to repot it, you may, though i dont see why you would.

can you get us a photo of the plant?

yup loading now

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

yup loading now

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

having trouble loading still trying thanks

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

ok here we go,
new+gymnPHOTO.jpg
IMG_0723.JPG
, thanks

Do you grow it in your bathroom? If so, I think light is your problem. Try increasing the amount of light the plant gets.

nope its under two 4 foot fixtures one grow bulb and one reg florescent bulb 10 hours a day right now , and ive now moved it to my highland terrarium, with the same lighting, bout 80 percent humidity all the time, and stays about 75 to 80 degrease during the day and 60 at night . Would like to cool a little more at night , working on a ice cooling system now, fan through pipe with holes , that open in a basket filled with ice, lots of work, but will come up with some thing more effective down the road , though i do work with the plants most days so its not hard for me to keep up. the system , can go two days without help but thats about it

you sure its 60 at night ? It might be too cold. some of my neps outside have red spots like that since we've been hitting the 30's - 40's.

Fungal infection? I'm pretty sure that fungus shows up as red spots on the leaves.

Oh, and what's the soil mix? It's hard to see from this distance, but it looks a little mucky.

Oddly enough, there are no basals on that gymnamphora.

it came withe the sellers special mix lfs.peat and perlite dont know he percentages .fungal Yeiks cant fix that
should i get it out of the terr. it has been in the mix for over a year but its not mucky at all, and drains well, just gave the coffee treatment ive been reading about here. should i wait and see ? anyone ?

Fungal infection? I'm pretty sure that fungus shows up as red spots on the leaves.

Oh, and what's the soil mix? It's hard to see from this distance, but it looks a little mucky.

I agree Fungal Prolly no air movement at all .an if you say your heater vent THATS NOT ENOUGH . .plus you prolly need an Airy soil .

Daren

Yes definately 60 at nights i watch it very closely, its my only terrarium so it gets all my attention

it came withe the sellers special mix lfs.peat and perlite dont know he percentages .fungal Yeiks cant fix that
should i get it out of the terr. it has been in the mix for over a year but its not mucky at all, and drains well, just gave the coffee treatment ive been reading about here. should i wait and see ? anyone ?

Change Your Media

the terrarium has great air movement and ventilation , but before not so much the shelf was over crowded and no fans at all

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

sure ill change the media is the plant worth saving .

Last edited:
60 at night is definitely not too cold. mine is taking it into the low 40s in the garage with no problem, this IS A HIGHLAND SPECIES.
Your problem does appear to be a fungal infection accompanied probably with poor air to the roots.
I would repot it into a more airy mix such as LFS/orchid barck/perlite/peat or something with god large chunks of material in the media. and your plant also looks like its possibly got mites or something along those lines...monitor it carefully.

thank you for your help i'll watch closely thought ive been growing cp's and orchids for a few years pretty sure it doesnt have any mites but i will watch , and change the media as soon as i get home tomorrow .

Speaking of which, I've heard that coconut husk is excellent for highland neps. (same with orchid bark, which you probably have handy).

thank you for your help i'll watch closely thought ive been growing cp's and orchids for a few years pretty sure it doesnt have any mites but i will watch , and change the media as soon as i get home tomorrow .

you can get a plant with mites ..... an not know you have them for quite some time . I got a Ventricosa from a vendor an it took 6 months before i noticed i had mites it was over a year after i got the last plant the ventricosa ...... sorry the vent was the last plant i got ... then a year later got another so i know exactlly where the mites came from .....

Back