What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. northiana

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
So I have been getting increasingly antsy in my nepenthes habit and I have been wanting to get some more exotic nepenthes. There was a time when I thought Bicalcarata would be the end all for me, but that was when I was 12 :D

Anyway, I've always really liked N. northiana but was put off by its lowland attributes. Just now it dawned on me that I am growing a lowlander already. I feel like if I kept a closer eye on my humidity in the terrarium my conditions could be almost optimal for a northiana. There is some talk of its picky substrate requirements, and its general difficulty to grow. It's pretty affordable and I find it to be one of top three most beautiful nepenthes I have seen.

Anyway, I know it's an idiotic idea to get one for one reason: Bical + northiana + one cage = come on now... BUT

It would be small for a while :p

Does anyone grow northiana? I'm much interested in just how hard it is to grow, and if I should talk myself out of it. What conditions were required for successful growth, how fast does it grow, and how hard is it to grow?

I'm really interested and any first person perspective would be great.

IN one month you wouldn't notice any growth...for me that is..akaline soil and erm keep the soil moist..Dunno...mine is verryyyyyyyyyy small

hmmm.... they are small thats better actually for my situation I guess. Thanks though.. Anyone else growing northiana?

I'm finding pure perlite is working well and mine have starting growing adventitious roots from high up on the stem. As soon as I potted them in pure perlite they started pitchering regularly, anything less airy or peat/spaghnum mixes rotted the roots off, especially in a closed terrarium environment.

Haha I'm actually growing mine in my standard mix of LFS and orchid bark about 50/50. Even with the slow baggie transplant my northiana was still about to die when I just got it. It took about 2 months to fully recover but it's been spitting out leaves and pitchers at a fairly quick rate.

My humidity conditions on their own aren't very good, it's about 20~40% during the day and around 50~60% at night but usually staying more towards 50%. About 3 nights out of the week I'll run a humidifier hooked to a humidistat that puts it at 95% for 8 hours. Honestly it's not that hard to grow, and like you said they're fairly cheap so if you kill one it's not like losing a macro. Hope I've helped a bit!

haha yes! that is some very hopeful information! Maybe I will have to get one. How much light does yours get, Mikey?

Dex, just so you know there is a low and highland form of of this species.

jong, Sweet post! Your plant is terrific, and great information. Jack, I did not know that. I think the ones available are lowlanders Im not certain though.

Dex, just so you know there is a low and highland form of of this species.

Jack, northiana are lowlander. They are limestone dwellers, found on cliff surffaces and slopes. At most the highest limestone hill was approx 800 ft asl.

Jack, northiana are lowlander. They are limestone dwellers, found on cliff surffaces and slopes. At most the highest limestone hill was approx 800 ft asl.

Doh! Sorry, I mixed it up with veitchi. I hate giving incorrect input.
Love the plant jong.

That older thread referenced was mine. I tried doing all the research I could on this plant, and have since decided to wait it out until my conditions are better suited to it. I agree, it is one of the most stunning nepenthes, and from what I gather, given the correct conditions, this plant will do well. Now I'm just waiting it out until I can get a place of my own.

Ah sorry for responding to your question there Dex, I find that northiana doesn't like too much light. I used to have mine within about 4~5" from my T5HO lights and it was growing extremely slowly. When I moved it down about 9~10" it really started growing like it was on a mission.

Back