What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings,

I am a new member, and I thought I would post a few pics of my neps. I grow some of them in tanks, and some as houseplants. Anyway, here they are:

Nepenthes spectabilis
SPEC0595.jpg

Nepenthes truncata x veitchii
NTXV0567copy.jpg

Nepenthes alata x truncata
NAXT0590.jpg

Nepenthes x chelsonii
CHEL0546.jpg

Nepenthes ampullaria
AMP0596.jpg

Nepenthes rafflesiana (a giant form)
RAFF1504.jpg

RAFF1502.jpg

RAFF1364.jpg

Nepenthes x dyeriana pitcher from a plant I just ripped up for cuttings.
DYER1872.jpg

DYER1866.jpg

Nice collection and welcome to TF!

Holy bajesus. Way to make an intro! Welcome to TF! :wave:

WOW! How long have you been growing those monsters?!

great plants!!! amazing! welcome to TF!

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

I don't know, maybe 25 years. In fact, the N. x dyerianas I have are descended from a clone I've had about that long.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

I don't know quite how to work everything yet. I apologize for that.

Welcome to Terraforums Glen!

Very nice giant raff.

Looks like you are just new to the forum. Not to growing some mighty fine neps! Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, everybody. I appreciate it so much. I guess I've had time to learn a few things about growing neps over the years, but some of them just get big in a hurry, and I was all into that for a while. In any case, I've made every mistake in the book, believe me, plus a few new ones that nobody thought of. I lost quite a few plants in the beginning. My main problem growing them is that I don't have a lot of room, and I have to cut them down all the time. (I almost always have at least a few cuttings going.) That's why I'm growing some as houseplants. My friend, elgecko, encouraged me to do that, and it turns out that a lot of neps grow just fine that way without any special setup--so my collection naturally got bigger.

Very nice collection. Welcome to Terraforums man!

Welcome to Terra! You're doing a great job growing those plants - I think that raff is going to fly away on those wings ... :clap:

How big is your macro? :pics:

Do you live near Steve?

Sheesh, newbies! 8P

Hopefully you'll stay tuned and chime in with some advice from all those mistakes... and the obvious successes you've had growing as well! Welcome aboard.

Very nice collection. Welcome to Terraforums man!

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Welcome to Terra! You're doing a great job growing those plants - I think that raff is going to fly away on those wings ... :clap:

How big is your macro? :pics:

Do you live near Steve?

Thanks.

My macrophylla is pretty small--not worth taking a picture of yet. I had a villosa I sold that was getting pretty nice.

I live about an hour away from Steve. He's got some awesome plants crowding up his kitchen.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Sheesh, newbies! 8P

Hopefully you'll stay tuned and chime in with some advice from all those mistakes... and the obvious successes you've had growing as well! Welcome aboard.

I would like to pass along a medium I found for nepenthes that seems to work really well. I start with a base of 1/2 cypress mulch and 1/2 LF sphagnum by volume. I usually add a little peat and perlite to that, using more perlite for picky highlanders. I used to use coconut chips before I found the cypress mulch and that works well, too; but the mulch is really, really cheap, and it seems to last a lot longer than either coconut chips or fir bark, especially if you don't pack it too tight. I think you could just stop with the mulch and sphagnum for most plants, though.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I found a couple of more pics to share.

N. x Marble Dragon
NXMRBDR56.jpg

More N. rafflesianas
NRAFF0202.jpg

Another N. x chelsonii
NCHELS0597.jpg

N. muluensis x lowii
NMUXL0W51.jpg

N. truncata x veitchii growing as a houseplant
NTXV01716.jpg

Impressive, how long have you been growing? What did you do for information before you came to the forums? How did you get into the hobby?

Impressive, how long have you been growing? What did you do for information before you came to the forums? How did you get into the hobby?

I think I've been growing Nepenthes for about 25 years or more. Before that I ran a death camp for venus flytraps (I finally found out they grow pretty good if you just take them outside).

Before I found the forums? I guess I got info where I could, from any website that had it, or from books. Before the internet, I had to go to the library, but that bore little fruit. They never have been loaded with CP-related books. I remember xeroxing a bunch of pages out of a huge botanical tome that would have required a cart to remove it from the library.

How did I get into the hobby? I'm from Florida, and I have always loved plants, particularly tropical or very unusual ones. The first time I saw a picture of a nepenthes I was hooked, but I didn't know where to get them. I got the idea to call a nearby botanical garden in Sarasota and ask for cuttings. The guy in charge of of the greenhouses said he had been needing to trim back the nepenthes and he told me to come in. I arrived with a couple of baggies, and I had to ask for several garbage bags when he was done with the clippers. I still have some beautiful N. alatas that are the descendants of clones I got from him (real alatas, not ventratas).

"I had a villosa I sold that was getting pretty nice."

Wah?! I've been kinda looking for a pretty nice villosa . . . dang.

Anyways, welcome to TF :boogie:

E

Hi and welcome!You look more like a pro!Hahaha

Hi and Welcome to TF,
Very nice plants you have here. That Veitchii x truncata is fantastic.

Back