What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here are some pics of the same Wistuba N. hamata, from last year at around this time and some more from just this month.

Last year this hamata was a small rosette, only 2.5" in diamter with a pitcher barely 1.5" tall.

IMG_0444-1.jpg

Now this pitcher is very close to 4" tall.

IMG_2034-1.jpg

Last year's peristome,

IMG_0468-1.jpg

The peristome now,

IMG_2037-1.jpg

The plant is growing in a 6" plastic pot, and easily extends over the pot's rim with it's new growth. All of the existing pitchers have had their leaves overgrown with live sphagnum. The new leaves are now forming new pitchers with a few of them being inflated. This next wave of new and larger pitchers should prove to be quite impressive.

IMG_2014-1.jpg

And last but not least, here is a shot of a prolific ventricosa from CZ Plants, that was thrown in as a bonus with one of my orders from them. This plant is always in a constant state of pitchering, despite being potted up in only a 4" pot and sitting on my bare concrete basement floor, under lights. As you can see it has a continuous skirt of pitchers encirlcing the pot. This has proven to be one of my favorites, due to it's extremely short internode length and pitcheing proclivity. In fact, it is now producing uppers and it hasn't started to vine yet...a real beauty.

IMG_2047-1.jpg

as usual, fantastic plants Dvg. Great progress. :0o: wooooooow

I wish to have a hamata. they are so cute. Especially the teeth.

Wow outstanding dvg! That hamata is beautiful! My Hamata is yet to produce pitchers :p hehe. My Ventricosa is doing something weird with its leaves. Anyways marvelous as usual!

Thanks guys,

The thing I find with hamata, is that if you can give it conditions it likes, it really grows quite fast. It is definitely one of the faster highlanders I grow.

It seems to prefer a bit more humidity, so the live sphagnum seems to help in that regard. I also try to mist or spray the tendril tips, as often as I can when I remember. As well it receives a night time drop in temps, inside it's nocturnal sprayed-down domed enclosure.

Good luck and good growing with all of your hamata's.

dvg

Wow nice hamata!Love it!But don't like the hairy head..looks ugly

Wow Doug!

I've found that because I grow in lower humidity, my hamata grows leaves fairly fast, but only pitchers if the tendril touches Sphagnum. The same goes for most of my other high humidity plants, such as albomarginata. Those seem to like higher humidity than I have currently.

Back